Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

foreign education vs HK education

carang is offline Registered User
    we ARE foreigners in hk (at least most of us are)... and to think that we cannot distinguish hkers from mainlanders is also a little bit arrogant. i am married to a hk chinese and i can certainly distinguish the two languages (you'd have to be deaf not to be able to tell the difference)...

as i said, we ARE in hk and that IS a foreign place for most of us. our children DO go to school in hong kong.

i don't really understand your question... are you asking if we would relocate 1/2 way around the world JUST so that our children could be educated in the usa? not me. i think it is important for kids, especially mine to be exposed to and learn the local culture of where we live (hk). they go to local cantonese speaking schools, even though i myself am not chinese.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I am a local (grew up in foreign country)... and if I can, I would prefer to have my baby educated somewhere else. Here in HK there are too much competition. Parents are really crazy and send their kids to as many different classes as possible. Kids cannot be kids anymore... but the bad things is that because other parents do that, you also have to do the same in order to compete.
    zhumgg likes this.

actually, you don't. we never, ever played "keeping up with the Chan's" and our kids are getting a decent education (and we aren't even sending them to an international school)

evgreen is offline Registered User
    i'd just like to add that i myself am chinese and was born and raised in hong kong. i value my language and culture very much and hope that my half-chinese children can do the same. that being said, hong kong is ideal for learning and appreciating cultural diversity, both western and chinese and my husband is on the same page as me. we are here for the long haul and although hong kong also has a few misgivings (as all cities do), i consider it one of the SAFEST and most secure places in the world to be raising and educating our children. As for considering a foreign school for our children, i wouldn't even think about it unless we a) moved to a foreign country b) our children were old enough for boarding school (i.e. 15 yrs or above).

like, like like like like.... sorry, evgreen... i can only "like" your post once...but i want to "like" it more!

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I beg to differ. Other parents being pushy does not make me feel like I have to do the same to compete. Oops...thought i quoted gataloca on this one.
    Last edited by evgreen; 09-02-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    zhumgg likes this.

that's how she feels, i however have never felt that way, like you.

Biggie is offline Registered User
    What level of education are you talking about? kindy, grade school, high school or college? And where are you comparing with?
    My experience of local schools in HK is that they are highly competitive and put a lot of pressure on the kids (and sometimes for parents).This starts from as young as kindergarten. Some kids do well under this system and some not. If you do well under this system, you do gain a lot of knowledge and exposure. But this is not unique to HK now. I've heard similar stories in other cities, like NY. So it depends on where you are comparing to.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast