Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

foreign education vs HK education

zhumgg is offline Registered User

Just want to share some more, thanka2, I agreed with many of your points like how important it is for the kid to learn with curiosity and passion. School is not the only place that a kid can learn. My kid is now studying in a small local school in Austin with very loving teachers and he loves it. btw, when I work for an international company in HK and SH, my boss (American) can speak native (really fluent) mandarin and read simplify Chinese. He told me he started to learn mandarin in the university in the US. So this is another example that people can learn good mandarin even they did not start as a kid. The more important is your interests and attitude in learning :)

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by zhumgg View Post
    I always find your comment to any post (I have read a lot of your responses to many posts) very rude and unprofessional. I have seen you surely picked a lot of fight with many members in this forum. I wont enroll my kid to a day care run by this type of people and cant believe anyone would.

- sounds like you are the only one who knows the HK intl school is very competitive. You cant get a seat for your son so he is now studying in a local
    Think you may be taking Cara's posts the wrong way...she has lived here a long time and is very familiar with child- related things in HK.

Regarding HK 's international schools, it really is a big " if" you can get a spot for expat children and others. There just are not enough spots at all, with priority at many international schools being given to students whose parents employers (or in some cases parents themselves) purchase very expensive debentures, which in many cases now doesn't even guarantee a spot, just a place on the wait list.

As many have noted, there are many factors that go into where a child should be educated, and there are some good things about going to school in HK, but the unfortunate reality in HK is that options are often limited by which schools have room and how much one can afford to pay for a place in a full international school.

HappyV is offline Registered User

I find it quit strange that someone from outside the city, who does not work in education, thinks that they know better than people on this thread who have worked in the sector for decades.
    Your chances of getting a school place for 2011 are very, very small - I would say less than one percent. term here has started already. There may be the odd place that comes up during the year but I know of at least one International School who (by numbers) has 30 children on the list for every place, and the pressure is greater at the lower primary end of the spectrum.
    And, as I said - schools look first at academic standing, then use portfolios. I have worked with students and schools from both international/local (including some of the 'top tier' schools in either system) and I can tell you that students with great portfolios are not accepted unless they are also academically up to scratch. But you do get students who are the opposite - academically amazing, but not very 'well rounded' - and isn't that part of the role of a 'top tier' school? To take a student and develop them into being well rounded?
    I also have two very good friends who took on Mandarin as adults, so I do understand that learning can be a lifelong pursuit - but that's not the same as talking about education for a young child.
    I forget which poster it was who said that only at Chinese International will a child learn Chinese/Mandarin - just simply not true. And it's good that you are aware of this.
    It does sound though, zhumgg that you are the one who is out to disagree with anyone who is not just saying "Yes' to you. You asked for opinion, and you've gotten it. I do not know Cara personally, or which school she runs, but there is nothing that I would disagree with. And it is quite hypocritical to say she picks fights when you are doing the same.
    I wish you luck, but your chances are small.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    I find it quit strange that someone from outside the city, who does not work in education, thinks that they know better than people on this thread who have worked in the sector for decades.
    Your chances of getting a school place for 2011 are very, very small - I would say less than one percent. term here has started already. There may be the odd place that comes up during the year but I know of at least one International School who (by numbers) has 30 children on the list for every place, and the pressure is greater at the lower primary end of the spectrum.
    And, as I said - schools look first at academic standing, then use portfolios. I have worked with students and schools from both international/local (including some of the 'top tier' schools in either system) and I can tell you that students with great portfolios are not accepted unless they are also academically up to scratch. But you do get students who are the opposite - academically amazing, but not very 'well rounded' - and isn't that part of the role of a 'top tier' school? To take a student and develop them into being well rounded?
    I also have two very good friends who took on Mandarin as adults, so I do understand that learning can be a lifelong pursuit - but that's not the same as talking about education for a young child.
    I forget which poster it was who said that only at Chinese International will a child learn Chinese/Mandarin - just simply not true. And it's good that you are aware of this.
    It does sound though, zhumgg that you are the one who is out to disagree with anyone who is not just saying "Yes' to you. You asked for opinion, and you've gotten it. I do not know Cara personally, or which school she runs, but there is nothing that I would disagree with. And it is quite hypocritical to say she picks fights when you are doing the same.
    I wish you luck, but your chances are small.
    Obviously, you must be friends of carang which you will deny. I think people can read and judge for themselves who is picking fight here and her history of posting rude comment and have numerous fight with other members in this forum.

I NEVER SAY I am better than anyone in knowing everthing in HK education system. It's just you put words in my mouth!! But I would like to remind you NOT only people work in education who live in HK now is the only one who knows about the education system in HK. There are tons of information on the internet, from HK friends, from other parents,the staff in school...etc. As I said, this is a forum for sharing and information. Everyone has different experience, know different people and information that we can share.

You are NOT the only one who work in international/local school. I dont know how long you have been working in the education sector in HK but I feel strange that some like you dare to say your own opinion can represent the whole education system here. Every school has different culture and admission criteria. It's NOT a must they consider academic result over a portfolio. Top tier school is NOT only focus on academy neither. How many prizes they won in joint-school debate and sports competition...etc, do you know???? I can tell you now my aunt is the principal of a famous top tier local school. Unlike people like you who think you are always right, my aunt is always very professional and diplomatic in giving advice and comment. While I take her comment and advice very seriously and sincerely, she suggest me to go listen to different of view from parents, students, staff of the school...etc. I dont normally only listen to one person. I am very open to different opinion and that's why I have been researching a lot by different means.

I just cant stand people like you who make things up, put words in other people's mouth, twist things and be super arrogant to think that you and your friend - carang are the only one who know everything and every thing you said is right. What a big joke!!!

I never say I am applying the school year 2011. Just call the target schools and talk to the staff, anyone can easily figure how much chance you have left if they apply now. But the whole point of this thread is NOT about the chance of applying intl school this year nor the admission criteria of local school. I hope you can open your eyes and look clearly. Dont you dare to be unrespectful and getting personal on other people's discussion, you will just get the same from other people.

HappyV is offline Registered User

Actually, my post was very calm.
    You are the one calling me a liar. And I think you have missed the whole point of my post.
    You had a go at Cara because she disagreed with you - my post was saying that if you only going to respect the opinion of the people who agree with you, then there is no point in asking for the opinions of strangers.
    I am not going to get into a conversation over who you know and what they said - apart from anything else, I could go tier for tier with you on that. What I will say is that I have been involved with admissions for several schools in HK, and none of them rank portfolios more importantly than academics. It may be that there is a particular student who offers something so unique to a school community that they are willing to overlook a less than stellar academic standing: but I would think that this happens so rarely as to be irrelevant in a conversation centered around how admissions work in this city. Despite the rhetoric of many schools, this is an exam driven culture - nowhere more so than in the top tier local and international schools.
    You came in asking for opinions, and you have received advice from people who (I would imagine) are parents, teachers and others working in the education sector. Disagree if you will, but it is not fair or reasonable to make personal attacks (as you have done with carang, and now me) just because you disagree with the opinion, or it is not what you want to hear.

I am NOT interested in reading your post. Dont want to waste time. I just forgot to tell you if you hate HK people so much, you would be better off avoiding HK altogether and go back to your home country!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    "They started screaming, yelling and threatening you when things dont go their way
    - They push you and step on shoes all the time even when it is not crowded on the street and public transportation. Not to mention they never apologize, they dont even look at you like nothing has happened
    - They spit in the public wherever and whenever they like without respecting the basic hygiene of the public place and whether there are people around them
    - They dont follow rules and regulation and always try to find the loop hole to get advantage for themselves
    - They dont like to queue up and if you remind them to do so, they will scream at you like it is your fault
    - At the school, instead of just drop the kids (by their own private car) and leave, they stop the car in the middle of everyone for a long time and block the way of everyone behind them during peak time pick up and drop off
    - At the school, when their kids damage the school or classmate's property, the kid never apologize and the next day, their parents drop several thousands dollars to the school and said it is not a big deal to break things. Sounded unapologetic and very arrogant" (from the original poster)

Sounds like you've just described the majority of local HK people - I can;t even count the number of times I've seen people spitting, pushing, shoving, jumping a line or trying to gain unfair advantage. And I have lived in mainland China as well as HK. Yes, there are differences, but I could quite easily use the term "uncivilised HKers" and it would mean about the same. As with any country, there is a proportion who behave in ways that are not socially acceptable in other countries.
    I am NOT interested in reading your post. Dont want to waste my time. I just forgot to tell you if you hate HK people so much, if you really think most of HK local is like this, you would be better off avoiding HK altogether and go back to your home country!!! You should just leave!!!!

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Zhumgg, let's not get personal here ... This thread is peppered with too much personal attacks to make it a meaningful read/forum to share. Peace.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast