Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tommee Tippee or Avent

Zoska is offline Registered User

Tommee Tippee or Avent

Which brand do you prefere and why? I was thinking Avent but now not sure so any opinions will be welcome!

elle is offline Registered User
    You're referring to bottles, right?

Are you interested in any third option? We use Dr. Browns and BFree. Found the extra air venting system, especially when baby was young (under 9 months and relying mostly on milk for food) worked best for our child. Did try Avent, but not Tommee Tippee before deciding on the other brands.

Used these two brands (and found no real difference between the two, which have similar air venting systems and bottle nipples) since about 6 weeks.

As baby gets older swallowing air with milk isn't as much of an issue, so more bottles worked okay.

inkmink is offline Registered User
    I love Tommee Tippee bottle shape but ended up with Avent bottles as managed to get them while on sale. No problems with Avent bottles - I only introduce 1 bottle feed per day though. However, my little one doesn't like Avent teats! Bfree latex works on her.

Zoska is offline Registered User
    Yes I ment bottles. Sorry should be more specyfic :)!

Thank you for your opinions! Opinions on any brands are more then welcome and very appriciated :)!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    We started off with Avent bottles for the shape with my son but then the whole issue of BPA came up around that time (the chemical that mimics hormones and is found in many plastic items) and I e mailed Avent and they basically told me it wasn't a big deal. Well, turns out, it was a big deal and now most baby bottles are listed as "BPA free." I just didn't like the attitude that Avent gave me and how they seemed totally unconcerned. I don't know if their bottles are BPA free or not as I stopped buying their products after that.

And...we switched to Dr. Brown's and BFree and loved them. Especially like the natural rubber nipples for the bottles. They are really great products, I think--especially with the air venting system.

But...when my son got older we started using Tommee Tippee cups with him and prefer those--which are all BPA free. I like Tommee Tippee products--they are durable and last a long time and the design is really good. But, never used them when we were using bottles.

For our daughter, we're using Nuk pacifiers because they also have the natural rubber nipples available. I just prefer the natural rubber products more. But, my daughter actually doesn't really care to have a pacifier because she's either breastfeeding or sucking her own thumb...go figure. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

southside852 is offline Registered User
    We found Tommee Tippee bottles very difficult to use. With my first, we used Avent then switched to BFree. With my 2nd who is now 10 months old, we started with Tommee Tippee, but found that my baby had a very hard suck reflex that the bottle's teat could not handle it. I also found the Tommee Tippee ones hard to hold - didn't feel natural so we switched to Dr. Brown's wide-neck bottles. We love them.

elle is offline Registered User
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that it was the wide neck Dr Browns and BFree that our baby likes, not the skinny ones. The bottles have lasted a year and are still in fine shape, but we have replaced the venting system once As it was starting to look a little worn (replacement parts are easy to get). Also, now that she is older we are using Tommee Tippee and Munchkin sippy cups, but for bottles, still the same. Tommee Tippee baby plates and bowls are very durable in our experience for when baby gets older.

On the difference between Dr Browns and BFree bottles, the Dr. Browns air venting system has two parts, while the BFree has three, so the former is a little easier to wash. But, the BFree bottles are one ounce larger in both the small and large size, and easier to use when baby is drinking 8 oz bottles of formula as there is a bit of extra room for the powder. That said, we finally just got the Dr Browns replacement venting system for the BFree bottles we have and it works fine. Bottle nipples for both brands are almost identical in size and shape.
    Last edited by elle; 09-04-2011 at 12:22 PM.

charade is offline Registered User
    I started out with Pigeon but moved to Dr. Brown's because my baby had reflux. If you find your baby gassy, you could try Dr. Brown's. They are more expensive and have a couple more parts than the regular bottles but I thought they helped. Added bonus: they are BPA free. I used the slim bottles. The small ones were fine for our baby when he was little - he was never a voracious drinker - then switched to the bigger ones (up to 8 oz).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast