Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mavislohsp

9.5 month only one nap a day?

a mum is offline Registered User

9.5 month only one nap a day?

My 9.5 month old has been going on for only one nap a day for almost a month now. She either has her morning nap at around 11.30am for almost two hours. If she refuses to sleep, I will put her down for an early afternoon nap for 2-2.5 hours at around 2 pm. She doesn't seem tired during the day. I try to nurse her to sleep, which was how she usually fell asleep before, but it does not work anymore now.

I think she needs two naps at her age and she does not sleep a particular long stretch at night about 10 hours.

Any advice?

mavislohsp is offline Registered User
    lucky you a mum, at least your princess willing to sleep at least once a day. My 4 months lil man refused to take any nap for a week now no matter what I do. Follow baby's cue is absolutely not working for him because he would never sleep even though he is visibly tired.

I am going to try a sleep train for my lil one this week, if it is working, shall let you know. Cheers!
    thanka2 likes this.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    If she doesn't seem tired or fussy then she may not need two naps. Some babies just need less sleep. Both of my girls only needed/ need two naps a day for about 20-30 minutes at a stretch. They say it's a sign of intelligence, though that may just be to soothe Mommy's nerves... :-/

Koan is offline Registered User
    My son dropped to one nap a day at around the same time. I think around 10 months he was completely done with the morning nap. His afternoon nap changed to a midday nap. Bad news is he dropped that at 1.5 years old. Hasn't taken a nap since unless he's not well.

Good luck! It's tiring I know!

genkimom is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Koan View Post
    My son dropped to one nap a day at around the same time. I think around 10 months he was completely done with the morning nap. His afternoon nap changed to a midday nap. Bad news is he dropped that at 1.5 years old. Hasn't taken a nap since unless he's not well.

Good luck! It's tiring I know!
    My son was exactly the same. He dropped both naps by 2. Now at 5, he averages only about 8 hours a night, and runs himself ragged all day. He just needs less sleep than most kids. Didn't get it from me...I napped all though primary school and I STILL love my afternoon naps, when i can get them! It was the saddest day of my life when I finally accepted my son was over naps...because that meant I didn't get a nap either! LOL!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I was going to say "Wow! That's great that your child has had two solid, predictable naps/day up until this point!" My son was never good at taking a nap and we struggled with that until he was a toddler. He never did take two naps/day. We were so thankful if he managed to get one in! We found that just getting him to bed earlier (when he was that age we put him to bed at 7:30 or 8:00 pm) meant he slept longer. Now, my son is nearly 4-years-old and takes a 2-3-hour nap every afternoon after lunch. He is super high-energy and he's growing really fast (4 cm in 3 months this summer) so when I see him at lunchtime after school often he'll say, "I'm so tired!" He still goes to bed between 8-9 pm. So, I feel thankful that he's held on to that afternoon rest--probably out of habit.

I say that if your baby isn't showing signs of burn out (rubbing eyes, whining, fussing) and is only doing one nap a day--just capitilize on that one nap--try to aim to have it earlier in the day (after lunch) and then start the nighttime routine (bath, story etc.) earlier and see if that increases the sleep time. They've found with babies that the earlier they go to bed, often the better and longer they sleep. But...like Koan pointed out...you might just have a kid who is a no-nap kid (I certainly was when I was little). My mom would just tell me to lay down even if I didn't sleep so I had that sort of discipline/structure in my day--for my mom it was more about her getting a break than me sleeping anyway so as long as I played quietly on my bed she was okay with that.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK