Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Swimming Lessons

MarisaB is offline Registered User

Swimming Lessons

I want to enroll my 7 month old son in swimming lessons. I don't think I want to do private lessons due to cost and bc I would like to meet other moms. I have heard good thinks about the Australian international school program but unfortunately the lessons for babies are held on the weekends. I would prefer to do weekday classes as I am a stay at home mom and desperately looking for daytime activities.
    Any ideas?

rani is offline Administrator
    Hv you looked at the esf courses?

Www.esf.org.hk
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    How about Harry Wright? We have been swimming with them since my daughter was 8 months old and she still loves it.

pipinhk is offline Registered User
    The YMCA has good introductory classes during the day

Ai li is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    How about Harry Wright? We have been swimming with them since my daughter was 8 months old and she still loves it.
    I have heard of Harry wright in Happy Valley, and have been wanting to send my 7 mons daughter there. However, the location is too far for us to travel there. (We are in Shatin).

Wondering do they actually teach/guide the baby to swim or having fun (playing) in the pool?

I would reconsider if purpose to teach '' how to swim'' rather than getting used in the water. Pls correct me If I am wrong, I thought I could do it myself If I just wanna let the baby getting used to the water.

Thank you.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Harry Wright conducts classes in various locations (Country Club, AMC, West Island School, Canadian Intl to name a few). You can check out the locations and schedules on their website.

It's not just play, tho at a young age, at the Parent & Infant class your child is swimming with assistance, so dont expect the child to really swim :) the classes are structured so you will 'learn' forward crawl, dipping the head under water, dip head/swim unassisted for a feet, jump off the pool, dive and pick up things from the bottom of the pool etc as you progress ... In addition to just getting the child comfortable with water. Nothing a parent cannot teach the child, but I know I probably cannot do it as well, most of the time we take her swimming we end up playing instead. I may even have introduced the float ....

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I don't think that a child can really "swim" until they are closer to 3. My daughter is nearly 3 and she is JUST getting it. She still needs floaties to be really safe in the pool (if I'm not holding her) but she's getting close to swimming without them now. She's been doing lessons with Harry Wright since she was about 10 months. It really is about building water confidence, and getting used to the motions of swimming (helping them to kick and move their arms). I still think it's worth it though and I'm a big Harry Wright fan, personally.

Ai li is offline Registered User
    Thank you so much Obiwan and Nicolejoy for the helpful information :-D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast