Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shipping or Buying a Car in HK (South Side)

SarahHK is offline Registered User

Shipping or Buying a Car in HK (South Side)

I'm so confused about cars in HK. We currently have one in the U.S. - would it even make sense to ship it over with the costs of car transport and import tax? It's an inexpensive 2008 VW golf... May be better to sell current car then buy a small used one in HK? We would not need luxury, just safety and utility.

If you buy direct in HK, are there also import taxes on the car? My husband said something like taxes can be 100% of the car value if foreign car maker?

I have a sense for car maintenance costs once in HK (parking, license, road fuel, tax, etc), but cannot figure out the car purchase or car shipping scenarios.

I understand taxis are inexpensive and public transportation can be good depending on where you live, but seems the advice if on the south side with children is to have car?

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

rani is offline Administrator
    Second hand cars here are not that expensive. Check the classifieds on geoexpat.com for an idea on costs. I wouldn't ship yr car fm us
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

rani is offline Administrator
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Biggie is offline Registered User
    Cars from us got the wheel on wrong side, don't think you can use them here. Yes there is import duty on all cars(no cars are made in hk!) but you can buy second hand or don't go for fancy brand.
    We live in south side and having a car is surely convenient. You can drop off kids, go to country sides on weekend, etc. In fact when we moved to hk we bot a car before finding an apt =p
    Posted via Mobile Device

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hi SarahHK, I find having a car invaluable if you live South Side or New Territories (we have lived in both). There isn't any point importing an old car into HK, I don't think, unless it is very special. My husband imported an old classic in but it cost a lot of money and there were loads of hassles with it. I'd buy a second hand. AsiaXpat classifieds have a really good selection of second hand cars. Also, there is a local site, 28car that often has much better deals than you get on the expat sites. It is in Chinese but we have bought off there before - you can see the car model, details etc. and then just send an sms to the owner if you're interested to talk further.

Regarding understanding the import taxes, if you go and visit a showroom or two you will get a feel for it because they list the breakdown of the car costs, including taxes.

elle is offline Registered User
    Easy answer - can't import a car from the US without having steering switched to the other side, which would be a huge hastle and quite costly. Don't worry though, plenty of second hand VW Golfs and similar cars here at reasonable prices.

Re: having a car on the South side with children, some people have cars and consider them invaulable, some people (myself included) have a car and drive some places, but take public transport to others and plenty of people rely exclusively on public transportation, which is quite good, runs frequently (and inexpensive) from the South side of HK island to Central, Causeway Bay, Aberdeen, Chai Wan and other places. Taxis on the South side are also plentiful and cheap. Its really a matter of personal preference and I would definitely not say essential if on the South side (there are some places in the New Territories where I would consider having a car to be a much greater priority as public transport is limited and infrequent).
    Last edited by elle; 09-05-2011 at 10:17 AM.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    Unless the car has incredible sentimental value and a right-hand steering wheel you will do far better to just peruse the classifieds on the different expat sites. There are frequently "help, I have to leave in 1 week--best offer or whatever" for some decent vehicles with very low miles (km).

We have thought of a car, primarily for weekends to take the kids to places and sort of just drive around in general. Haven't quite convinced ourselves of the need just yet, but others might find it more necessary given where they live.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Definitely buy second-hand if you want to avoid the first registration tax. Here is a link to the tax rates and importation guidelines if you are curious:

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_servi...mot/index.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast