Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Hiring a driver

vc3231 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
    Hi Trying, I think salaries of $10-12k are for local Hong Kong drivers. We paid our driver $4,500, he was Sri Lankan. My friend paid her Sri Lankan driver $6k, but he had a lot more experience than mine. I interviewed 3 or 4 other drivers when I was hiring and they were looking for $5-7k (Filipinos and Sri Lankans).

There are some women who drive too - but not many. But they are around.

Liquorice: May I know where can I find Sri Lankan drivers? How many years of experience do they have (at the rate 4500-6000)? Are they under a domestic helper contract? Do they live in or live out? I am urgently looking for a family driver but most of the filipino drivers (under a domestic helper contract) request 11000.
    Thanks for the advice in advance.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    I would second vc3231 comment. I have never found a fillipino driver, under domestic helper contract, willing to accept 11 000 unless you sponsored their licence in the first place. 11 000 asked for includes, salary = 8000 , live out costs = 2000 and food + travel =1000 allowance. Even at this rate quite a number of my friends have had their drivers leave as they could obtain a better salary elsewhere or the drivers found the hours too long. (I have never employed a live out driver - just stating what the market conditions are....)
    Liquorice, how did you find your driver?

rani is offline Administrator
    search the classifieds. lots of drivers listed

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/classif...cat.php/cat/16
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    I found my driver through my friend who also had a sri lankan driver. I paid 9,000 for husband and wife full time. My friend paid 11,000 for husband and wife full time, as I recall.

Other than that, I interviewed two other Sri Lankan couples and a Filipino couple. I found these by placing ads in Geoexpat and Asiaexpat looking for a couple, and by calling people advertising on Asiaxpat. One of the Sri Lankan couples and the Filipino couple wanted more than $4,500 each, but certainly weren't asking for 11. I recall the men were asking $6k or so because they were drivers.

Mummymoo, they were all looking to live in though, so that brings their expenses down. Also, they wanted couple jobs which do not come up as frequently I guess.

VC3231, if you like I can try and find the contact details of the people I interviewed if you want to try them?

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Thanks Liquorice, makes a lot of sense that couples wanting to live and work together would agree to a reasonable package deal. I will have to try this once I ne d new driver, currently happy with the one I have and its good to know that you can still find good drivers at a decent salary.

Thanks a lot for the information. However i do not have space to accomodate a couple becoz i already have two filippino helpers at home.

Yeah i know there is a high demand for experienced male filippino drivers, and most are asking for more than 11000. May be i should go for a local one instead!

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    vc3231, there are several Sri Lankan drivers advertising on Asiaxpat at the moment.

Liquorice: OH Really let me have a look!

I just wonder if the criteria for granting a MALE domestic helper visa by the HK immigration (working as a driver) is more strict when compared to a female one? I heard that the employer needs to be living in a reasonably sized apartment ( a house is even better) in order to hire a male domestic helper (because they are supposed to be live in )???
    I live in a 1750 sq feet apartment but already have two helpers. I am not sure if they would allow let me have a 3rd one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast