Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Overloaded school bus

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User

Overloaded school bus

Just wanted to ask if you can complain to the tranport departement or EDB if the school bus is overloaded.
    Our daughter has just started Kindy and i find the school van, which is meant for 12 persons (its written on the outside 12 seats) is carrying 14-15 kids and one bus mother, though they have got 15 seatbelts fixed. I find it very packed.

There is no point talking to the bus company as fron my past experience i find them very rude and unaccomodating. They always have a standard answer that you have a choice of not taking the bus .

Thanks in advance.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Sure, you can report that to the police. Bring evidence, though. I don't know how you can gather it except with a video camera or by taking a photo. I had a run-in with our mini bus driver who was endangering my childrens' lives and decided to press charges against him (because it's the only way that he can likely lose his job and therefore not harm other people) but it's unclear if there is enough evidence to really pursue a case against him. So, be ready to back yourself up with time-dated video and photos. Also, other written witness accounts will be helpful to you. I say, contact the police.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

rani is offline Administrator

Any chance you can report to the school and see if they can help?

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User

@Rani..I spoke to the principal reg another issue with the bus company, felt that she has no say in the way they operate. So there is no point talking to her.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

I would not be so sure that they are "overloading" as they have seemed to take seatbelts into consideration; there are a couple of ways to find out:
    drop by your local police
    or
    contact the transport department with your concerns: http://www.td.gov.hk/

geomum is offline Registered User

Talk to the principal again, visit her personally. I am sure she will listen if you have a reasonable demand.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by shwetakhanna View Post
    Just wanted to ask if you can complain to the tranport departement or EDB if the school bus is overloaded.
    Our daughter has just started Kindy and i find the school van, which is meant for 12 persons (its written on the outside 12 seats) is carrying 14-15 kids and one bus mother, though they have got 15 seatbelts fixed. I find it very packed.

There is no point talking to the bus company as fron my past experience i find them very rude and unaccomodating. They always have a standard answer that you have a choice of not taking the bus .

Thanks in advance.
    not that i don't agree with you - but what i have found out the school buses do here is to "re-do" the buses so that they can accomodate 3 kids in seats originally designed to fit 2 people - thus, carrying more people than what the sign states on the bus. i asked about the legality of this as my daughter is on the school bus, and apparently as long as they have seat belts installed it is fine. granted my kid is only 3yrs old, so having 3 kids side by side is not that packed, don't know the age of your kid. but thought i'd bring this to your attention as i asked the same question to my friend who's a police and he said it wasn't exactly illegal ...decided against asking the bus co. as they will always have a reason for everything- like you said.