Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Breast-feeding Issue

miran is offline Registered User
    on an average - double in 5 months. triple by 1st year. never heard of 8 weeks ! :)

rebekah is offline Registered User
    The AAP says double by 6 months.

miran is offline Registered User
    here you go: WHO links. for a quick check just see how babies with median weight gain weight. and you can do a lot of detailed tracking.

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

KeHK is offline Registered User
    Miran, thanks for this! That helps.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by KeHK View Post
    What???? That's the first time I've ever heard that! Are you sure? My baby only doubled her birth weight when she was 6 months. She was born at 3.55 kg and was exactly 7.0 kg at her 6 months check-up. My pediatrician NEVER mentioned that there was anything wrong with her weight. I'm really surprised to hear that.
    Thanka2 is definitely incorrect on this - her statement is quite misleading. There are many growth charts/centiles kicking around. They are only a guide at best, and none of the ones I have seen have babies doubling in weight after 8 weeks.

At example is here, at the World Health Organisation.

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html

You can look at all the percentile ranks for both boys and girls - none is expected to double after 8 weeks - regardless of whether your baby is very light, average or very heavy at birth.

-- edit: miran beat me to it!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by KeHK View Post
    What???? That's the first time I've ever heard that! Are you sure? My baby only doubled her birth weight when she was 6 months. She was born at 3.55 kg and was exactly 7.0 kg at her 6 months check-up. My pediatrician NEVER mentioned that there was anything wrong with her weight. I'm really surprised to hear that.
    Sorry! I really typed that wrong! Sorry. Babies get back to their birth weight by 2 weeks. The general rule is that a baby doubles his/her birth weight by FOUR months, not TWO! Sorry! Frazzled brain. Thanks for catching that! :) And my daughter reached that stage earlier than four months. But, this is a general rule. From what I understand, it only becomes an issue if the baby is "failure to thrive" or having serious weight issues.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    Thanka2 is definitely incorrect on this - her statement is quite misleading. There are many growth charts/centiles kicking around. They are only a guide at best, and none of the ones I have seen have babies doubling in weight after 8 weeks.

At example is here, at the World Health Organisation.

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html

You can look at all the percentile ranks for both boys and girls - none is expected to double after 8 weeks - regardless of whether your baby is very light, average or very heavy at birth.

-- edit: miran beat me to it!
    And thanks for keenly catching that mistake. Posters on this board never miss a beat! What I read and was told my my son's doctor in the States is that babies generally double their weight around four months. And there certainly are no cut-and-dried rules about weight, height and size of children. Against the Chinese weight and height charts that my "mixed" children are measured they are "giants"--97% for height for my son, 99% for my daughter and; 70% for weight for my son, 90% for my daughter. In the States, they would be in a more "average" range.

I think it's really an issue if your baby is not faring well in other ways or is extremely thin and unwell--which is something you should be in contact with your doctor about.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Quote Originally Posted by miran View Post
    on an average - double in 5 months. triple by 1st year. never heard of 8 weeks ! :)
    Thanks for catching that mistake, miran. The details of whether it's 4, 5 or 6 months are unclear. It depends on where you're looking but yes, the general range is between 4-6 months to double weight. Babies should regain their birth weight by 2 weeks.

If the OP's doctor says the baby is doing well and the OP seeks other opinions and they all say the baby is doing well and she doesn't notice any other problems with the baby's health then weight (especially small differences in weight) shouldn't be a problem.

Mother of Two

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast