Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Breast-feeding Issue

mavislohsp is offline Registered User

Breast-feeding Issue

Hi all,

My lil one are 4 1/2 months old. Nowadays he seems to spend lesser time on my breast, between 5-10 mins on each breast. Compared to last time he used to spend 15-20mins. I tried to squeeze on my breast after he finished and it is very easy to get the milk out, i.e. He didn't empty the breast. I am just worried he might not get enough milk. He weight 6.36kgs when he is 4 months old, is his weight ok for his age? Though doctor said is alright, just Want to hear some others opinion. Besides, lately he seems to have constipation issue. Yesterday he past motion of his 8 days old poo poo, and before that was 5 days poo once, but all after he took the lactose fr doctor. Today I tried give him the formula and he took 4 1/2 oz. am just wonder is this a sign that he wanted to wean from breast milk? Any suggestion are most appreciated.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    i found that with both my sons, the older they got the more efficient they were with the breast so they are on it for less time. I bfed/expressed my first for 5 months and then my 2nd for 6 months. you can check your baby's weight on the WHO website: http://www.who.int/childgrowth/en/ but remember it's just a guideline. I never took it too seriously. As long as your baby is happy and healthy, then the are getting what they need. My 2nd son weight through a bit of constipation and my pediatrician in singapore said some pass stool every 14 days....i tried to eat foods that helped - lentils, prunes etc...Can you express milk and see if he drinks the same amount?

sea princess is offline Registered User
    Hi
    Babies get efficient at taking what they need as they get a bit older and often you'll find they pause less when drinking, so it seems much shorter. A lot go through stages at 4-6 months where they are interested in what's happening on around them and this can distract them from drinking efficiently. Try goining into a darkened, quiet room. If you have only recently introduced formula this will be affecting your milk supply. Both my girls fed efficiently (in under 10 minutes) at this age.

The growth charts, are as southside suggested, estimates on a population group only. The WHO isbased more on breast fed babies where as the CDC, formula fed babies so they can differ quite a bit understandably. You will also need to consider your LO birth weight and his/her genetics (build from parents). As long as he/she hasnt dropped two percentiles in a short space of time it is regarded as normal development by most.

The changes in his poo could be due to the formula or the other supplement you were given? Have solids been introduced early? This aways plays havoc with digestion. 6 months is the WHO official view on the introduction of solids as this is when the babies digestive tract is the most equipped at breaking down foods. My second igot quite constiipated with the introduction of solids, so I've introduced a tsp of flax seed oil now into her diet to help with this and it's made a big difference. Also check the formula you have. The iron levels can be too high and result in costipation also.

If you haven't done so already, introduce water to your LO now. It's so hot and they can get dehyrated in this heat so easily. Avoid juice.

Good luck.
    Last edited by sea princess; 09-08-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Lali07 is offline Registered User
    Hi there, babies get much more efficient at breastfeeding the older they get, if you allow unrestricted feeding he will take as much as he needs. At around 4 months, a breastfed baby's growth starts to gently taper off, this is normal! If he continued to grow at the same rate forever, he'd be a giant! Studies using ultrasound equipment show that babies usually only take around 75% of the milk available in the breast at a big feeding, so it is normal to be able to express milk out after a feed. Topping up with formula is almost never necessary, and will cause your supply to drop and lead to premature weaning. Babies will often accept a bottle of formula after feeding, not because they are still hungry but because it is delivered from the bottle teat so easily. It is very easy to overfeed a baby this way. Babies who are fed on demand and not offered other sources of milk, will generally not self-wean until closer to 2yo. As for weight gain, this depends somewhat on his genetic makeup as well. You can look at the WHO growth charts, as these are compiled from exclusively breastfed babies. At 4 months old, it is very normal not to poop every day. Some babies at this age will only poop every week or two! Its normal, and not a sign of constipation. If your baby is exclusively breastfed, it is not advised to offer water. Breastmilk composition changes with the temperature, so in the heat your baby will likely take in more foremilk and not be at risk of dehydration. So long as he is allowed to feed on demand, there is no need to offer him water (unless he is having formula, which is a different situation as formula is the same consistency). Feel free to PM me if you'd like any help/info. Cheers! Lali :)

mavislohsp is offline Registered User
    Hi southside852 n sea princess,

I have not introduce solid to my baby yet, and He is solely breast feed. Yesterday I am just trying to see how much he can take in a meal, and I have problem pump my milk out therefore no choice have to use formula. I tried drinking prune juice but it doesn't seems to work for him, I did start giving him water when he is 4 months old, probably the amount was not enough, I shall try give him more. He is really a curious baby, n I always nurse him in a dark room. My doctor asked me to introduce solid to him now saying that the fiber in the solid might be helpful, but I always heard solid will make baby more constipated, don't know if I should do that. I didn't know baby can hold the poo poo for up to 14 days! 10 days is the max that I heard of! Anyway he did letting out gas a lot of times everyday and is very smelly. Thanks for the link and advices, I 'll try your suggestion, cheers!

KeHK is offline Registered User
    Mavislohsp, I just checked my baby's health record and she was 6.16 kg at 4 months of age (3.55 kg when she was born).
    As the others have mentioned, babies do get more efficient on the breast as they get older. As long as your baby is healthy, happy and is putting on weight, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mavislohsp View Post
    Hi all,

My lil one are 4 1/2 months old. Nowadays he seems to spend lesser time on my breast, between 5-10 mins on each breast. Compared to last time he used to spend 15-20mins. I tried to squeeze on my breast after he finished and it is very easy to get the milk out, i.e. He didn't empty the breast. I am just worried he might not get enough milk. He weight 6.36kgs when he is 4 months old, is his weight ok for his age? Though doctor said is alright, just Want to hear some others opinion. Besides, lately he seems to have constipation issue. Yesterday he past motion of his 8 days old poo poo, and before that was 5 days poo once, but all after he took the lactose fr doctor. Today I tried give him the formula and he took 4 1/2 oz. am just wonder is this a sign that he wanted to wean from breast milk? Any suggestion are most appreciated.
    I'm sure that Sarah Hung will have some good tips on this if she reads it.

First of all, it is important to note what your baby's birth weight was. My baby was 8 pounds, 6 ounces at birth (3.8 kilograms). Babies are supposed to double their weight by 8 weeks after birth. So my baby (who reached this weight goal long before 8 weeks) should have been 7.6 kilos by the time she was 8 weeks old. So, for my baby to be only 6.36 kilos at 18 weeks (4.5 months) would mean something was wrong. But....your baby was likely a lot smaller than mine when he was born.

Second, breastfed babies learn the skill of breastfeeding over time. The reason why your baby took 20 minutes to finish a feed in the beginning is that he was not as good at breastfeeding as he is now. My daughter also would feed for like 30-45 minutes when she was 1-3 months-old but now that she's already almost 6-months-old her feedings last an average of 10 minutes--sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more. She's getting just as much milk (or more) but she is more efficient at getting it out. Also, my milk supply is more established so my let-down happens faster and the milk flow is faster. These are things you can't really observe but that's probably what's happening. Breastfed babies eat until they are full--not until they've reached a certain measurement--totally different than formula feeding. If you are really worried about your baby getting enough breastmilk, I suggest that you feed and then pump afterward to increase your milk supply.

Third, there isn't really any need for you to supplement with formula. By supplementing with formula you are already starting the weaning-from-breast process. Babies at 4.5 months will not wean themselves--they will not refuse breastmilk. The more formula you use, the less breastmilk your baby will drink and the less you will produce--which becomes a cycle that is hard to reverse. If you still want to keep breastfeeding I would seriously think about cutting out the formula entirely. Also, beware of local doctors who will say that the baby is not getting enough breastmilk and needs formula. Talk to a La Leche League consultant and get some advise about breastfeeding. Most local doctors don't know much or anything about the reality of breastfeeding.

About bowel movements (going poo). Another interesting thing about breastmilk is that the baby's body can really use almost 100% of the milk so sometimes breastfed only babies go a long time between poos. Now, if you're also giving formula, the constipation is from the formula--because formula is difficult for babies to digest as cow's milk is not easy on their tummies. I gave my daughter formula (good, gentle, organic type) when she was about 8 weeks old and she got terrible sick from it--she was constipated for three days and screamed and cried in pain. After she passed the formula out of her system she was fine and happy again. I never gave her formula after that. I suggest that if you want to keep giving formula, give goat's milk formula (Karihome) as it's easier to digest than cow's milk formula.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

KeHK is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Babies are supposed to double their weight by 8 weeks after birth.
    What???? That's the first time I've ever heard that! Are you sure? My baby only doubled her birth weight when she was 6 months. She was born at 3.55 kg and was exactly 7.0 kg at her 6 months check-up. My pediatrician NEVER mentioned that there was anything wrong with her weight. I'm really surprised to hear that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast