Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any advice/hot tips for delivery at Queen Mary Hospital?

trttrt is offline Registered User

Any advice/hot tips for delivery at Queen Mary Hospital?

Hi! Will be due for my delivery at QMH soon and I just wanted to find out if you guys have any tips or advice for me... I am Chinese, but speak no Cantonese.. ;) will be going through a Caesarean op, i am hoping. Though till now, my gynae still refuses to commit on whether I can 100% have it, since my first child was born elective caesarean. Hope to have my hb with me when I pop. It's at the very top of my wishlist!

carang is offline Registered User
    what to take for ward room admission:

1) EAR PLUGS
    2) SLEEPING EYE PATCH
    these two are absolute necessities!
    3) something to read
    4) something to watch (ipod, computer, small personal dvd player)
    5) i took small jar of peanut butter and a 1/2 loaf of bread with a knife in case i got the munchies
    6) take away menus from soho delivers or some such. (they WILL deliver to the ward, but do not come into the ward, you will have to go to the lift lobby on your floor to pick up the food)
    7) drinks, whatever your preferred beverage is... but remember no refrigeration.

Thanks carang. Is charging the electronics an issue? R the plugs readily available or near?

he he... i would just pull my curtain shut for privacy and charge in the plug behind the bed... then as soon as it was all charged up, i'd unplug it.

i was there a LOT over my two pregnancies and i only had them ask once or twice to unplug. i think they sympathised with how long and how often i was there...

Hey carang, I read from the other thread that your epidural didn't work for your first csect. Guess what? I had the exact same experience! Except my csect was elective. I remember asking my gynae," is it supposed to hurt???" cos all my gfs who went through it told me it was not painful since the area is numbed. My gynae offered to put me under GA but I thought since I already felt the knife, what could be worse? ( i was wrong though, it was painful thru'out, and the stitching of the layers was gross..) I decided to endure so my hb cld be there to experience the birth. It was hell!! I felt like I was pushing in labour except the baby was coming through a hole in my tummy and not the birth canal.
    Anyways, here I am awaiting the birth of my second child... I am waiting to see the doc at queen Mary on Friday for my wk 37 visit and I am really worried the doc will not allow me to go for a c-sect this time round. I hear they are very pro natural... And also, if they grant a csect, I am worried sick the epidural will not work again... Sigh it's stressful! Any advice?

if you have previously had a c-section, they will be more likely to grant you another, so i wouldn't worry about that so much.

for my second, i had GA and to be honest, i would do it that way again in a heartbeat. while i was completely out of it for almost a day (didn't see my daughter until the next day), it was so much easier than the first excruciating delivery that for me, it would be the way to go again.

problem with it is that hubby won't be there but honestly, you sleep through it all anyway, so hubby wouldn't be much of a support.

best advice is: if you can live through the first excruciating birth, you can handle anything. you are a strong lady and you will be fine.

ps> make sure you tell the the epi didn't work the first time and that you could feel everything!

Thanks for your encouragement! Just to update you. I did get my csect choice after all. Was supposed to be scheduled on the 2nd nov. Which is my week 38. But because my hb needs to travel between 1-4nov, doctor scheduled my csect to be on 9nov when I am wk39. I really hope I won't go into labor before then! Just wondering, I am supposed to check into QMH on 8nov at 9am... What do I do for the entire day before I have my op then? Just lie in bed and wait? And given if everything turns out smooth, how soon can I get home? What's the recommended? Thanks!!

Oops forgot to ask... How come the GA knocked you out for so long? I thought you would wake after a couple of hours after the op, no? Also, what time of the day are csects usually scheduled for at QMH? Maybe you won't be able to answer me since I noted you had your kids a few years back! ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast