Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Fed up with Schools - What do you think of home schooling?

carang is offline Registered User
    did you sign anything giving the school the right to use photos in their promotions? i know we have asked parent to sign a form granting us the right to use photos (no names) of students....

elle is offline Registered User
    No, absolutely not (and we would probably not agree to a blanket release for the school to use our child's photo even if they did ask). But this was not the school, it was a teacher taking photos of her class and posting them on her private FB page with captions about the kids personalities that were meant to be funny or something.

It is probably a bit irrational but I am now quite hesitant to send her back to classes until she is old enough to really talk to us about her day in school. I personally accompany her to the music/ art classes, which are shorter than preschool classes. Unfortunately with work I could not attend 3 hours of preschool a day, but would reconsider if I had the time to be there instead of nanny.

The bigger issue that I have had with preschools in HK is actually not language but the relative inexperience of teachers and less supervision of teachers when compared to primary up teachers. It might just be that I haven't found the right place yet. Will resume looking when she is over 2 years I think. was very surprised that it didn't occur to this teacher (educated in Canada and a native English speaker) who took the photos that posting them online might be an issue for parents.
    Last edited by elle; 09-10-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elle View Post
    No, absolutely not (and we would probably not agree to a blanket release for the school to use our child's photo even if they did ask). But this was not the school, it was a teacher taking photos of her class and posting them on her private FB page with captions about the kids personalities that were meant to be funny or something.
    that's completely different. there is no WAY i would allow my teachers to post stuff. i'm actually glad you mentioned this so that i can remind all of my staff not to post pictures of kdis without express permission of parents.

although, i am curious as to why you wouldn't allow the school to use photos if there is no mention of students names/ages etc? i'm not saying that you are wrong, i'm just curious as to your reasoning. do you post any photos of your kids online at all? or do you not post any yourself?

i ask because, i, myself don't mind photos of my kids being posted. of course there is nothing inappropriate and no names etc mentioned

I actually don't put pictures of baby online. Again, probably a bit irrational but I just feel like photos of my baby are very personal.

Regarding school use of photos, I would probably be okay with it if there was a way that I could have the photo removed easily if I was not happy with it for whatever reason. Just wouldn't want to give complete rights to her image away.

thanks for clarifying. like i said, i was just curious.

my brother had a fit when my step dad put photos of my brother's kids on his "access limited to family and close friends" website (step dad is a computer whiz)... but then my brother went and put photos of his kids on facebook.... it made no sense to me whatsoever...

so, i was just wondering what your reasoning was. i agree most of my photos of my kids are personal, but we don't get to see most of our friends and families very often so facebook seems to be one of the easiest ways to share the photos. but also, my kids have modelled for a few things, so i guess that my threshold is just different than yours.

we_make is offline Registered User
    Hi there,

I have just read through your post and I understand your position. I have worked in Hong Kong as a NET teacher for 7 years and I am shocked at how the education system here works. It's really a different world here, and education is being run with the principles of business in mind.

Were you sending your daughter to a private education center or one of the hk local schools? I have worked in many different kindergartens and I hear the "English" that the students are learning - bad grammar and pronunciation. It's really frustrating trying to teach kids the correct way after hearing and practicing it the wrong way so much. Of course, some places are better than others depending on the funding.

Anyway, rant over... If you have any interest in having some classes in your own home please send me a PM, I have quit teaching and begun working privately. It's very satisfying after so long of having to compromise to finally get to do things my way :)

- Teacher Liz

kellyrobinson is offline Registered User
    I always apprecite mums who are willing to home-school their children. But I think social skills can be developed if they're going to playgroup / preschool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast