Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Loving your husband less--is this true?!

sfolola is offline Registered User

Loving your husband less--is this true?!

Recently, at a bridal shower with a group of women whose opinions I generally respect, many of whom are mommies, one mommy mentioned that every since she had her son, she started to love her husband less.

This was said offhandedly, like it was no big deal. A few of the other mommies nodded and casually agreed. I was kind of stunned. My husband and I are currently trying for our first; but I never considered that having a child might mean I would love him less.

Are the mommies I know unusual? Or is this a fairly common sentiment?

AmyH is offline Registered User
    This question really got me thinking! When I first read it I immediatley said no but I don't really think that there is a straight yes or no answer. When you have children, priorities change. Before I had children, my husband was the most important person in my life. We did everything together. We had mainly the same group of friends, same interests and generally loved spending time together. Once my children were born, they became the most important people in my life for a while as they needed me for everything (food, sleep, comfort etc!) and so my husbands needs were just not as important during that time! It doesn't mean that I loved him less though.
    sfolola likes this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I think that there is no way to make this a "general statement." But, I do think that many women have such a strong bond with their child--something that goes beyond what they experience with their husband that by comparison it seems they "love their husbands less." The bond with your child can be intense. Afterall, mothers carry that little human inside of their own bodies, nourishing and taking care of them for nearly a year. Then all of the hormones like oxytocin that come into play chemically bond a mother with her child. Orgasms can do the same thing but it's just not quite the same.

I know that I love my husband MUCH more now that I do have children. He was by my side every step of the way through two long pregnancies and two long, unmedicated labors (he was my labor coach). He is amazing with our children--much better as a nurturer in many ways than I am. Every time I see him with our babies I have an intense rush of emotion and I feel more connected and bonded to him through all we've been through together. But, admittedly, my husband is a very hands-on father who is close to his children. Some fathers aren't.

I think one problem is that men are not prepared for the upheaval that happens when a baby is born and many of them get jealous of the attention the baby gets. Some men really do want to babied--want the focused attention of their wives and it's hard to share that with the baby. Sometimes men do not adjust well and they start to act in ways that are irritating and cause stress for the mothers and that causes tension in the relationship so it becomes a cycle. Mother spends more time with child--->husband feels neglected and pouts/acts out--->mother feels upset and irritated by husband's behavior so chooses to focus on child rather that he negative situation with husband--->husband feels more upset--->mother again turns her attention more to child and begins to feel like she loves the husband less. This is what I've observed but I think that it's different in every situation.
    cuppatea, sfolola, rani and 2 others like this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

KeHK is offline Registered User
    I don't think that a woman loves her husband less once she becomes a mother, but all of a sudden, there is another person in her life whom she loves unconditionally as well and the husband is suddenly not the most important person for her anymore. You can't compare the love a mother feels for her baby with the love a wife feels for her husband. In my opinion, those are two different things.
    Apart from the unconditional love I feel for my daughter, I also have the urgent need to nourish her, care for her and most of all, protect her with my own life (even if that would mean I would have to protect her from my husband, hypothetically of course).
    rani and sfolola like this.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I have to completely disagree - I'm more like thanka, I think I love my husband more since we had kids. I love my kids too of course, but we have become more of a team in parenting. In addition, seeing him as a father has made me fall in love with THAT aspect of him that I never knew before we had kids...

We have had some marital conflict after kids of course - some of it was related directly to parenting (issues we disagree on), others was indirectly related (for example, the kids require a lot of time and energy, so we have less time and energy for each other). I can see how those issues could really come between a husband and wife... but it doesn't HAVE to come between you - we've worked through most of the issues, and the rest we're still working on ;)
    TNT, sfolola and rebekah like this.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    I am the same as Thanka2 and Nicole Joy; but my husband is also a very hands on dad, so agree that can make a big difference
    sfolola and rebekah like this.

satay sue is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by sfolola View Post
    Recently, at a bridal shower with a group of women whose opinions I generally respect, many of whom are mommies, one mommy mentioned that every since she had her son, she started to love her husband less.

This was said offhandedly, like it was no big deal. A few of the other mommies nodded and casually agreed. I was kind of stunned. My husband and I are currently trying for our first; but I never considered that having a child might mean I would love him less.

Are the mommies I know unusual? Or is this a fairly common sentiment?
    I couldn't believe I was reading this. I love my husband as much now as I ever did. We've been together 22 years, married for 18, and our son is 6 years old.

charade is offline Registered User
    I kind of expected to love my husband less since that's what I heard but I think I ended up loving him more. Going through labour with my husband was a huge bonding exercise, a bit undone in the initial month of our baby's birth because we differed on how to deal with his reflux problem. As some others have shared, watching your husband with your child and realising that previously unexperienced facet of him can be a huge upper as well - my husband is a very hands on dad and there's an expression in his eyes when he's with my son that I've never seen before. My husband would actually check with me: "You love the baby more than me, now huh?" and I could honestly say no. Though off late, if I had to quantify, I'd probably say I love my son more - but that could be because he's being an absolutely cutie and generally giving my gummy smiles all the time.

My sis confesses she loves her daughter more than the her husband or anyone else. I actually don't think it's a big deal. As long as you love both your husband and your child a whole lot, how does it matter if you love one a little less or more here and there?
    miran likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast