Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Babysitting in Hong Kong

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User

Babysitting in Hong Kong

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good babysitting agency/person? We would be looking to have the odd dinner out together and leave our baby in good hands. We don't have a helper, and most of our friends do which limits the chance to "swap" nights and share. Neither of us is from Hong Kong so that rules out family too.

I have seen RentaMum

http://www.rent-a-mum.com/contact-us.html

but at over HK$500 a go it is a little expensive. We might use them for the odd special occasion but it's a bit steep otherwise.

carang is offline Registered User
    that's about the going rate.... hence, many people have helpers.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Find a set of friends that have helpers or have 2 helpers so you can depend on them once in a while. You can always put up a notice in your building.
    Where are you located? We have 2 helpers that would love to get a few extra $$$ in/around Happy Valley.

rani is offline Administrator
    There might be some teenagers also in yr building who could babysit.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post
    There might be some teenagers also in yr building who could babysit.
    I thought of that, but I don't really want to leave my baby with a teenager without any childcare experience. Would definitely prefer someone who has had children themselves/baby care experience and that we know can deal with a crying, irritable or hungry baby. While it's not rocket science I know we would feel more comfortable that way.

Also not really interested in illegally employing someone else's helper. With the minimum wage at $28 I think there must be some supply here for an occasional evenings babysitting at closer to $300 than $600 from Rentamum. Maybe a combination of helpers and family fill that niche here...

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    With your wish of staying 100% legal, I think you will have a very tough time attracting anyone for $50-$60/hr who will do part time babysitting for you with your requirements. I'm supposing you will also want/need an English speaker.
    If you do find someone, please update us as I'm sure there would be others who would jump at the chance.

I still think getting a well known (neighbor, friend etc) helper is your best bet. Although technically illegal, I seriously doubt a few hours of babysitting will land you in any serious hot water.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I employed a neighbors helper a few times to walk my dog for $60/hr which is the going part time rate (obviously with express permission from the neighbor). Not the same as babysitting children of course, but similar concept...

cuppatea is offline Registered User
    $28 is the minimum wage but people only work for that little if its a FT job with 40+ hrs pw.
    Even an illegal helper working a few hours doing cleaning and dog walking is $60 + !

How many hours is $500 for ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast