Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Form ID235B & visa for baby

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User

Form ID235B & visa for baby

Hello

Does anyone have any experience on how to apply for the dependent visa for a newborn baby. I have a work visa here, and my wife is on a dependent visa. Neither of us is Chinese or Hong Kong permanent resident.

Our baby was born here earlier this year, and has a Hong Kong birth certificate from the Admiralty office. We also have a form ID235b which I was given at the same time.

What do I need to do for the baby to be able to travel? Do I need to visit the 5/F of Wanchai Immigration Tower? If so, do I need to make appointment? I have all the documents I might need (ID cards, parents passports, marriage cert, birth cert etc) but after reading the HK Immigration website it still isn't clear to me what I need to do.

Any advice appreciated!
    cheers

ginger75 is offline Registered User
    Hi

I registered my baby in Feb. You need to bring all your original documents with you to the Immigration Tower.
    Birth Cert, Marriage Cert, parent’s passports baby’s passport and Hong Kong ID. You will need photocopies of the docs but you can get it done there. I didn’t make an appointment and it only took about 20 mins to do.

You pay, I think it was HKD140 and a sticker similar to the one you have in your passport is put in your baby's passport.

I hope this is helpful

Thanks, that is very helpful! Did you have to bring the baby too? And you got the sticker on the same day?

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    No need to bring baby but do bring a book with you as it took about a little more than an before they release your baby's passport with the sticker.

TIP: Don't bring your earphones as you have to listen out for your number when you claim the passport & if you happen to slip out for a coffee (like I did) & they call you, they will not wait & you will have to come back at 4pm. If you're like me who is still not used to the Cantonese accent, I strained to hear my number (was that D24 or E24?)

Good luck

Sorry, I meant to say it took a little more than hour or so.

I forgot to add: While you don't need an appointment, there is a quota for walk-ins. If you have a busy day ahead, best to make an appointment or go in first thing if you don't want to queue (although queues are short anyway)

Thanks - I tried to see if I could make an appointment here:

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/address_2.htm

but I am unsure which section?

Seems "Other Visas and Permits Section" is the most logical but there is no "Make an appointment" link on that page? Which floor was it, do you remember?

I also looked here

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/id998.htm#I >> Residence as Dependants

but that seems to be for people wishing to enter Hong Kong - imy baby already has right to reside in HK (thats what the form ID235B says, the expiry is in two years, inline with my employment visa).

So I looked in travel documents section too without getting any clarity!! I guess if I can't figure it out and make an appointment I'll turn up at 8:45am on Saturday morning and queue.

Really sorry to bombard you with stupid questions!

This is the email I got from immigration:

If both you and your spouse are not HK permanent residents, the form ID235B was issued with your child's HK birth certificate by the Birth Registry to indicate his stay in HK.

If your child has a separate travel document now, you may consider transferring the visa label from his/her ID235B to his/her new passport.

Transfer of endorsement:-

Application shall be submitted to the Extension Section, 5/F Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong with the following documents:

(i) applicant's birth certificate (original and copy);
    (ii) applicant's travel document (original and copy);
    (iii) copy of sponsor's (father/mother) travel document;
    (iv) copy of parents' marriage certificate;
    (v) form ID235B
    The fee for application for transfer of an endorsement to a travel document is HK$165.

In general, the baby no need to attend in person and the transfer of endorsement can be completed within the same day. However, it requires the baby to be in HK when the application is submitted and issue of the endorsement.

You may wish to know that the requisite form is available for download at:
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/id405.htm.

Hope this helps
    2010-NewDad likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast