Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Interview for pre-nursery school

arleneli is offline Registered User
    Omg, but at 14 months they definitelly cry being away from the caregivers. I would think the child is NOT normal if he or she does not cry. Or is it a popular practice in hk to be separated early? how do you separate them?

carang is offline Registered User
    i agree, it is totally insane. many 14 month olds cannot walk, never mind talk and answer questions! absolutely ridiculous.

rooj is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by arleneli View Post
    Omg, but at 14 months they definitelly cry being away from the caregivers. I would think the child is NOT normal if he or she does not cry. Or is it a popular practice in hk to be separated early? how do you separate them?
    No idea to be honest, but I have to say that there were very few babies who would cry at being separated from the caregiver. Don't forget that parents put themselves under enormous pressure trying to get their child in to a kindy/school so they go to extreme lengths to make sure their baby is 'ready' for interviews. As part of the interview process I had to talk to parents about their expectations for their child (to check if they were realistic or not - mostly not) and you would not believe some of the answers we got for the question : What does your child like to do in his spare time (like they go to work and have spare time....!)? Answers were as varied as: go to the potty, write letters to the government (not a joke!), use a calculator... and so on. I had a Mum tell me her 13 month old child knew her colours and after showing her a crayon and asking her what colour it was, the daughter would say "hummo" which of course meant yellow, and red and blue and purple and green.....

blessed is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gataloca View Post
    Greenville Kids' World International Nursery and Kindergarten, in TKO.... Well, they didn't say what kind of interview... probably is for the parents? still would like to know what kind of things they would look for.
    Hi Gataloca - we live in lohas park and just starting to look into pre-nursery in TKO area for our boy next year too, we are surprised to hear of interviews... he is turning one end of this month and i don't think he will pass any!

we would prefer to wait for our little boy to get older to go to kindergarten like Canada, but since I am back at work we think it will be better for him to get to pre-nursery for a few hours instead of spending the whole day with the helper...

solidstars is offline Registered User
    when my son did his interview for pre-nursery, it was two-fold, one group one which consisted of a 'storytelling' about a tiger's birthday who recieved presents in different colour boxes, and then the children were asked to pick up a certain colour box, and if they could identify the thing within it, a bonus (car, star, etc).

the individual interview was more of identifying apple/orange/banana and then placing shapes in their respective wooden slots. and then the interviewer asked me what we usually do at home, etc

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by blessed View Post
    Hi Gataloca - we live in lohas park and just starting to look into pre-nursery in TKO area for our boy next year too, we are surprised to hear of interviews... he is turning one end of this month and i don't think he will pass any!

we would prefer to wait for our little boy to get older to go to kindergarten like Canada, but since I am back at work we think it will be better for him to get to pre-nursery for a few hours instead of spending the whole day with the helper...
    Hi Blessed, this is also the reason why I would put my baby in a pre-nursery, cause I don't really know what my helper does with my child whole day. She is from Indonesia, and her English is not good. Once I overheard her when she was showing a picture book to my baby, and she was naming the animals there: "See? tiger, gorilla, elephant, monkey...."... actually she misnamed some of the animals... like there was a hippo on the book, but she called it something else. And some of the animals that she named weren't even on the book! And also, as I mentioned before, my baby calls "Ma" to my helper, and I think the reason is because she responds him when he calls "Ma"... She would say something like "Yes, Ma Ma, yes, Ma Ma".... Once I even heard her saying "Yes, I am coming" when my baby was calling "Ma Ma"... and I was around, so I really got annoyed. I had a conversation with her the other day, and told her not to respond my baby when he is calling for "Ma Ma", and instead, tell him that she is "Che Che". Will tell her later to try to explain to my baby, when I am not around, that Ma Ma is away and will be back soon.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    And going back to the topic... I don't think my baby would pass either. Really don't know why they would do an interview so early, when the class would start next year. Even if my child cried and looked like trouble now, doesn't mean that he would be like that next year, when he will be 2.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    My son was around 2-years-old when he had his "interview" for nursery school. He wasn't going to a highly competitive school. We sat with the principal and she asked my son questions in Cantonese and English like, "What's your name?" "Point to your mommy." "What is this?" He didn't do well at all in the interview but he still go into the school.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast