Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Solid to Introduce to 6 months baby

mavislohsp is offline Registered User

Solid to Introduce to 6 months baby

Hi Everyone,

My Baby is going to be 6 months soon, and I am thinking what kind of solid I should introduce to him. Is it must be puree? Can anyone suggest where can I attend the first-aid course for baby as well? Any suggestions are appreciated.

carang is offline Registered User
    yes, it must be puree (or mashed, like bananas, sweet potatoes, potatoes etc)

most people start with a mouthful of rice cereal or oat cereal or something like that.

then you introduce one new food at a time.

if you are unsure, i would highly suggest you buy a baby cookbook (annabel karmel is great). she lays it all out for you and takes the thinking out about it.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I also think Annabel Karmel is good and she has a website with a lot of basic information on it. My daughter turned 6-months-old today and we fed her a bowl of rice cereal mixed with expressed breast milk. We found that it was easier to just let her drink the thin mixture rather than use a spoon. Honestly, I think she was overdue for starting on solids so we'll probably start introducing a new food every day along with the rice cereal from here on out. There is no history of allergies in our family on either side and my son did really well with all the foods we introduced to him when he was a baby too. So, my goal this time is to introduce all the non-sweet vegetables first before I introduce fruit and sweet vegetables as I'd like my daughter to have a taste for veggies. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Biggie is offline Registered User
    We started with rice cereal, then other baby cereal, steamed and purée fruits and vege, e.g. Apple, pear, potato, carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato. Then some raw fruit like banana, papaya, avocado. Then we started to make congee at around 7-8mth and introduced meat and protein.
    Posted via Mobile Device

newtothis is offline Registered User
    It doesn't have to be purée. We weaned our son with finger food - google baby led weaning, and he hasn't had any purees and eats what we eat. It was easy, just offered him chunks he could hold himself for him to suck/play with and he was very quickly eating very well and now eats anything and everything. I wish we'd done the same with our older son as I spent a lot of time pureeing ridiculous amounts of carrots! We lived in the UK where baby led weaning is very popular. Remember that milk will continue to be the main source of nutrition for your child until a year so if a lot of food ends up on the floor it's not a problem, although very messy. This approach worked really well for our family and weaning was a breeze! Good luck

you gave chunks of food to a 6 month old who doesn't know how to chew yet?

can't edit my last post.... wasn't being nasty, just curious. it goes against everything i've ever heard/read.... obviously your child is ok... but i dont understand how it works is all.

kip1 is offline Registered User
    We are baby led weaning also and it's fantastic for us, and suits our baby. You just offer soft cooked sticks/wedges of food, fruit/veg to begin with but it's not long before you can offer anything really.We started with broccoli 'trees', pumpkin, sweet potato and went from there. My baby is not yet 7 months and eats pasta and veg, corn on the cob, wedges of watermelon, sticks of banana, cucumber, he takes a pre-loaded fork or spoon and gets it in his mouth more times than not. He's tried a huge variety of food already, now pretty much whatever we're having, just have to be aware of what you're cooking for dinner- being aware of salt, sugar but we just use more herbs, garlic etc. One website that is really useful is www.babyledweaning.com
    Doesn't have to be purees!
    Last edited by kip1; 09-18-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast