Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Dr. prescribing too much medicine

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

Dr. prescribing too much medicine

I took my daughter to a local doctor for high fever. It went on for two days, she was lethargic so thought I'd just send her in for a check-up. After consultation with a doctor, we were given 3 different syrups plus a suppository.Yes, she had fever a bit of a cough but I thought 4 different types of medicine was a bit over the top.

I asked for an explanation for each of the syrups. Some I felt were more precautionary, just in case. I do appreciate that they give you small bottles but they have no expiration so even if you don't use them (children's panadol for example) you can't use them as it has no expiration date.

Is over prescribing normal here?

elle is offline Registered User
    My experience with the more local doctors is that they do tend to overprescribe. But, part of it seems to be that they "prescribe" over the counter drugs, like panadol, Nurofen, etc. Our pediatrician doesn't do this so much, but I have switched my personal doc a couple times since I've been here because they either prescribed an antibiotic for what was almost certainly a viral infection or they insisted on "prescribing" and having me pay for, things like neurfen, which I have plenty of at home. Now I just ask a lot of questions about any medicine and why I or my child needs it, whether it is medically necessary, whether it will treat symptoms or is needed to take care of the underlying condition.

Generally our pediatrician recommends neurofen over panadol for fever and aches and pains associated with a cold or sore throat. But, giving too much can cause constipation especially with younger children, so if it will be used for more than a couple days he recommends neuofen for nighttime and panadol during the day.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    I was told that nurofen is to be used for high fevers ( above 39) and paracetomol) for low fevers (below 39). So it's not really a night and day thing though often times my child has higher fevers in the middle of the might. Our pediatrician often gives us 2 or 3 medicines for colds but mostly for treating symptoms and she always tells me to give it only if they have those symptoms. So I sometimes make a judgement call not to give medicines given if the symptoms aren't there or aren't that bad. I fine that my pediatrician, though local, does not overprescribe (never given me antibiotics as everything my kids have had were diagnosed to be viral). But some local GPs do seem to give lots of meds. It breeds a culture where the public thinks that meds are always needed even for viral infections!
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User
    the other thing is that they don't usually give an "all-encompassing" medicine to cover multiple symptoms... they give one for each symptom.

the dr we use is great. he will not prescribe anit-biotics for everything either. and the last time i was there, he happily spent 30 minutes with me.... i felt badly for the folks in the waiting room!

Biggie is offline Registered User
    Our doctor usually gives one medicine for cough, one for runny nose, panadol (he usually ask if we still have some at home, he said shelf life is 6mth), and anti biotics if he thinks there's infection in ear or chest. I would give my kid the medicine when they have the symptoms. e.g. if the cough is gone and runny nose is mild, I'd only give runny nose meds at bed time.
    If you don't like your doctor's style, you can find another one. I don't mind them giving me medicine as long as they explain what it's for and I can stop giving it when the symptom is gone.
    In terms of expiration, one hospital I've been put 14 days on all bottles as expiration which I think is so you can't "keep it for next time" and they have less liability. I would keep drugs like cough syrup, dimetapp for a few months...

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    both our kids have been sick for the last 3 weeks. cough, cold and fever. our doc only prescribed inhaler and paracetamol. i requested for cough syrup, but he informed us that he has stopped prescribing them, because fda in the states have chucked them away. something about preservatives scandal used that can lead to stroke and overdosing danger. i googled it, and this is what ive found:

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/ne...es-from-market

carang is offline Registered User
    yes, they've taken them off the shelves in n. america.... i don't think there's anything wrong with the meds... i think it had more to do with parents giving too much to the kids. so, really parents fault, not the meds.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your replies. I've gone back to the doctor since as my daughter was sick again. I brought along all the left over medicine he prescribed so instead of giving me new medicine, he just told me to finish a few & gave me one bottle. That seemed more manageable compared to 3 syrups & a suppository.