Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Baby hygiene and bath products

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    yep, first child: has 1,000,000 photos of each and every milestone, baby book is lovingly kept up to date, all greeting cards are kept and filed in order of receipt.

second child: has about 100 photos of each milestone, baby book started off well, but by the time "first tooth appears" in the book, the book is collecting dust on the shelf, a couple of cards are kept.

third child: you're lucky if you can remember this child's name....
    vinkap likes this.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    for my first son, we used nothing but water and olive oil as a moisturizer for the first 3 months. then we used Aveeno baby products from 3 months on and used it for my 2nd son since birth.

AndreaSB is offline Registered User
    Our paediatrician said it's best to use just water for at least the first month. For diaper changes she recommended cotton balls and water but I find that rather inconvenient so I bought some H2O wipes (99.9% water). At Matilda they don't use J&J (it's packed full of nasty stuff), they use Sebamed (you can find it at bumps to babes, and I think Mannings/Watsons too). There's also a French range of baby products called Mustela that is free of parabens and other nasties. Have seen it at B2B, wing on, Honey Berrie, and there's a Mustela shop in central. I bathe my baby every day in plain water, using cotton pads to clean away flaky skin and anything else on him. When he's 2-3 weeks old I plan to use a bar of Dove Sensitive Baby soap around the diaper area. It's fragrance free and pH neutral. I have read/heard it's best not to use scented products at first as their little noses are quite sensitive and baby should be given a chance to get acquainted with mum and dad's scent, not lotions and colognes.

I have a great article that explains the rationale behind being "natural" when they're first born:

Care of the New-born Baby’s Skin
    “Are we throwing Baby Out With the Bathwater?”

A new father had just returned from the nursery after helping to bathe his baby daughter. His face was beaming proudly. “I love the way she smells after her bath,” he confided to me happily.
    Every day I meet new parents lovingly armed with arsenals of baby wipes, baby bath preparations, soaps, oils and shampoos, all anxious to produce the definitively clean, soft, moisturized and sweet-smelling baby! How to tell them, then, that (despite what the manufacturers of baby toiletries may say) current research strongly indicates that the use of such substances on infant skin in the early neonatal period is inappropriate and may even harm the skin’s valuable barrier properties. ¹· ²·
    Parents’ concern for their newborn’s dry skin may prompt them to apply all manner on unnecessary “skin care” products. (I have seen a day-old baby whose parents massaged wheat germ oil into its dry facial skin, resulting in unsightly inflammation which took days to subside.) Few of the parents I meet seem to be aware of the research findings – that the optimal skin condition for the newborn baby “is one that is dry and flaking but without cracks and fissures” and that “superficial peeling of the skin requires no treatment”.
    Perhaps the subject of infant skincare does not figure as prominently in this country as it does in the USA. There, the American Academy of Paediatrics has long recommended “dry skincare” practice. This involves the use of cotton pads and warm water only to clean the newborn’s face, head and perineum, the remaining skin left untouched unless grossly soiled (cited Blackburn & Loper¹· Korones²· & Kenner 6).
    I believe that relatively few UK midwives and parents are aware of the special needs and properties of neonatal skin. For a baby, the skin’s major function is to act as a barrier –
    against infection, against the absorption of toxic substances and against the loss of valuable baby fluids. The skin’s barrier properties are located almost entirely in the
    Stratum corneum, the superficial layer of the epidermis. Whether born prematurely or at term, the first few days of an infant’s extra-uterine existence see the drying out and thickening of the stratum corneum, thus making it an effective barrier. However, interference in this maturation process can occur with frequent bathing and the use of topical substances.
    Once mature, the stratum conreum can resist loss of fluids, notably water from the skin, thus preventing dehydration. Likewise, a mature stratum corneum is less permeable and therefore less likely to absorb substances which may be harmful. American research has shown that, depending on the skin’s maturity, there is risk of toxic reaction from absorption of topically applied substances. Such absorption may have far-reaching systemic consequences. As baby bath preparations may contain blend of antonic and amphoteric surfactants with the addition of dye, fragrance and preservatives. Is it not reasonable to assume that the immature skin of a newborn bathed in such a cocktail is at risk of absorbing those additives? Many midwives will have observed infant skin that is blotchy and inflamed within days of birth, and for which antibiotics are often prescribed. As skin conditions are the commonest allergic disorder in babies, I suggest that some skin allergies may be prevented by avoiding the too early and repeated use of baby toiletries and other substances on immature skin. In addition, I feel that manufacturers of baby toiletries should be legally bound to show on labelling the exact composition of their products, so that parents can decide for themselves just how “gentle” and “mild” such toiletries are.
    The term “acid mantle” is one much used nowadays. After birth, the skin’s pH is acidic. Certain bacteria colonise this acidic environment and exist in a state of equilibrium, thus providing the baby with protection against invading pathogens. However, washing the skin with soap (which is alkaline) neutralizes this acid mantle and jeopardizes its protective properties. Creams, lotions and emollients also have a disruptive effect. Should the skin’s pH rise towards neutral, there follow an increase in the total number of bacteria present and a change in their species? Cowan et al suggest that detergent-based baby bath additives used on newborn skin may encourage colonization with undesirable micro-organisms.
    The stratum corneum of the premature infant has on average only one third of the thickness of the full-term infant, thus leaving the pre-term baby even more vulnerable to hazards such as excessive water loss, trauma and absorption of toxic substances. However, pre-term babies’ skin undergoes striking development in the first two extra-uterine weeks, and at 14 days its permeability resembles that of the skin of a baby born at term.
    Whatever the infant’s gestational age, a summary of the research indicates that the use of substances (such as toiletries) on the skin of a newly born baby.
    • Interferes with the maturation of the stratum corneum, rendering it a less effective barrier.
    • may allow for precutaneous absorption of chemical substances
    • neutralize or alters the skin’s protective “acid mantle” and
    • interferes with beneficial skin colonization

I suggest that midwives and other carers remain sensitive to the baby’s gestational and postnatal age when advising on and practicing infant skincare. Much advice could be given to parents antenatally, in clinics and parenthood groups before the crucial first days of extra uterine life.
    For the first two postnatal weeks the period normally covered by midwifery care – midwives should reassure parents that their baby’s dry skin is normal maturing skin that “dry skincare” (using water only) is appropriate care and that any cracked skin can be treated with a non-perfumed emollient. Baby toiletries should be avoided at this stage and preferably should not be displayed in hospital nurseries. After the first two weeks these products may be used if desired but sparingly and following manufacturer’s instructions."

Grainne Brennan, BA, RN, RM, Midwife, Stevenage

vinkap is offline Registered User
    Clear Water Bay, Kowloon
    thanks a lot Andrea SB! The article surely is quite informative. As we live in Clear water bay it is tough to travel regluarly to Central.. I shall see if i can find the products you mentioned someplace closeby.. if we get them at Watsons/Mannings.. that would be great! :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12