Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extras for helpers

fianna is offline Registered User

Extras for helpers

Do you give extra money to your helper for babysitting in the evenings? This is the first time i asked her to stay late and i feel i should pay her extra. I mean, normally for a 9-5 job anything over is overpay. Wouldn't the same apply to helpers?

Haven't discussed it with her and she hasn't made any requests whatsoever

carang is offline Registered User
    no, since she is supposed to live in, baby-sitting is part and parcel of her job. helper's don't work 9-5. they work when you need them... she hasn't made any requests because she is only fulfilling her job requirements.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    No - some helpers are worked 24 hours a day!! They sleep with the baby and do night shift, then do all the house work and cooking during the day, as well as marketing and childcare. My helper generally is up around 7am and finishes work around 8pm, but she has plenty of down-time during the day. My husband and I have recently been swimming a few evenings a week, and we occasionally have a date night, so our helper will help with the kids until later. Generally they are asleep by 8-9pm though so it's not even that much extra work. If we went away for an entire weekend, I might think of getting her something as a thank you (plus we would be legally obligated to give her another day off if we required her to work on a Sunday) but extra money for evening work is not necessary, and in my opinion, I wouldn't want her to expect that!! It's just a part of her job, like Cara said.

(just wanted to add, I think it's inhumane if they work 24 hours a day - I personally feel as though in the VERY least, they should have 8-10 hours with absolutely no work commitments whatsoever)
    Last edited by nicolejoy; 09-20-2011 at 10:20 PM.

of course, i disagree with working 24 hours, too (don't want you to think that i did..>LOL!)

but babysitting IS part of their job. not something extra.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Oh I didn't think that you thought that!! My point was that really, even working 8-8 is pretty "easy" compared to what some helpers are expected to work. I had to edit because I thought it may have sounded like I thought it was reasonable for them to work 24 hours, but I do not!!

yes, i know... but sometimes, i later re-read what i wrote and it doesn't read the way i meant it...

our helper now is up earlier (6am) but that is because my son needs to be on the public bus (only 1 bus every 30 minutes where i live) in order to be to school for 7:55am... but with both kids in school from 8am-4/5pm, she doesn't have much to do except housework, which she can finish quite quickly... she is usually finished once she's cleared the dinner table (around 6:30/7pm) BUT if i needed her to baby-sit at night, then i would ask her to. where we live, we almost never go out at night, i'm just too tired at work the next day if we do...

southside852 is offline Registered User
    Nope, like those mentioned above, we never pay her for babysitting - it's part of her duties. The only time we pay her extra is if she works a Sunday.

mela is offline Registered User
    I let mine start later if she babysits in the evening or pay extra if it means she will have to work overtime i.e. over 10 hours. My helper is live out tho so I suppose its a bit different. I also pay her a taxi home as I hate the idea of her going back late at night or she just stays over for the night

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast