Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bathing 1 yr old

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My daughter has dwarfism and is now at 14 months the average height of a 3 month old (although her body is longer and limbs are shorter, and she is much heavier). I've bathed her in the big bath with her older sister from the time she was about 5 months old!! I just find it easier. Now, she loves to scoot around the bathtub and stand up to get the toys on the side of the bath, I still have to be in the room with her but she's more or less independent in the bath now (except for the occasional dip which isn't going to harm her ;) ). I never used one of those seats for either of my girls, I found that they were stable enough as long as the water was only up to their belly button (if it's too deep, they will be less stable) and only used the baby bath for the first couple of months. I never knew that people actually used them for that long!!!

And with the seat, I can't even imagine either of my girls just sitting in the seat!! How do they play with their bath toys if they are just stuck in one spot the whole time?? And wouldn't it make it harder to wash them too?? I've always thought they would be more hassle than help...

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    when my daughter was born, we bathed her in a kind of bath recliner for babies. it helped my back alot, then she would just lie there and not move. then she got more mobile and it was soon chucked away, at 4mths. she would just sit in her baby tub and bathe. soon at 6 mths, she moved on to the adult tub, just sitting down to bathe and shower.

both my kids 3 years and 9mths old now bathe in the big tub together. i agree with nicolejoy, having a bath seat doesnt work for my kids, cos both are trying to get themselves out/in, which is even more dangerous. when they are placed in the tub, they dun try to squirm their way out. supervision is a must.

BabymamaOct is offline Registered User
    Thanks all, I echo some of the comments, we just don't want to spend money on something she willnout grow quickly. Maybe interested in the seat but prob she will not stay in it :)

banane76 is offline Registered User
    My daughter who is almost 2 still uses the baby bath as we thought it would save water using that. When my baby who is 5 months becomes more stable we can bathe them together but for now, we use the tub for both.

bonita is offline Registered User
    We use an inflatable baby bath tub within the big tub since birth. Easy to fill & drain. She moved onto the just the big tub around 1-year-old. The inflatable tub is also good for traveling, too. And since 14-months or so, I just get into the shower with her if we're in a rush.

mela is offline Registered User
    We got a rubbery mat with sort of a seat from Mothercare - I loved it as it was flexible enough to play but prevented falling face first:) From 17 months onwards we just used the anti slipper mat or a shower.

I also found those anti-slip mats to be useless! They sometimes (in my bath anyway) would get unstuck and then they would create a worse hazard! I ended up just chucking outs out and the kids just sit in the bathtub directly. I don't know why it wouldn't stick properly in our bath - probably the shape was wrong, or the surface didn't grip well enough... I dunno!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12