Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Kiangsu & Chekiang Primary School & Kindergarten

littleho is offline Registered User
    Most KCS primary graduates will study in other local secondary schools. That said, some of them will switch to KCIS or study aboard.

KCIS primary students will either stay with KCIS, switch to other international schools, study aboard or go to study in the local system.

Hence, there are many possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by rosachan View Post
    I am very interested in KCS and KCIS for my son too, mainly because of its apparently stronger Mandarin emphasis. Would anyone have any comments about both the local KCS path and the international KCIS path please?

Kim501 is offline Registered User
    Hi . My son is currently attending K3 at Cks , we still need to wait two more months to see if my son can keep with its mandarin requirement before the school would consider our admittance to their primary 1, they do this to late transferee. We hv been taking tutorial classes and doing a lot of studying. I think he deserve to relax sometimes and just hv friends over. We live beside d school. He is 5.5 yrs old, if any mom is interested to meet up for play. Let me know. I can also speak Mandarin to them sometimes if it is helpful.
    Posted via Mobile Device

ssheng is offline Registered User
    Is it true that a lot of KCS students are local Cantonese speaking, and therefore the playground language is Cantonese? Just wondering how my kid would do there in terms of making friends since she speaks English and only some Mandarin. Also curious about the quality of the Mandarin instruction in terms of accents - I have a friend from Beijing who told me most people in HK speak Mandarin with a strong Cantonese accent; of course I can't tell (and honestly not sure if I care), but would that be an issue for KCS?

Lastly, does anyone know how much the fees are for KCS and KCIS? I find their websites hard to navigate. :) Thanks in advance!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    The school population is majority local Cantonese speaking kids along with a very sizable Chinese Expat (Sing, Taiwan, Mainland etc) group. Cantonese is forbidden in school therefore you wont hear it very much.

Only way to tell about the accent is to visit and talk to a few kids. I think this is a non-issue.

KCS primary is around 40,000 per year
    KCIS primary is around 60,000 per year
    These amounts are from my memory - it would be best to check directly with the school for the latest figures.

If you are interested in KCS primary, one thing you have to bear in mind is that there are 11 KCS K1 classes and only four KCS Primary P1 classes. That's mean there is competition for entry in its primary section even for its own kindergarten students. The competition becomes intensified this year. Many of my son's classmates were not accepted. While some of them are given a second chance of interview, there is no waiting list.

Quote Originally Posted by ssheng View Post
    Is it true that a lot of KCS students are local Cantonese speaking, and therefore the playground language is Cantonese? Just wondering how my kid would do there in terms of making friends since she speaks English and only some Mandarin. Also curious about the quality of the Mandarin instruction in terms of accents - I have a friend from Beijing who told me most people in HK speak Mandarin with a strong Cantonese accent; of course I can't tell (and honestly not sure if I care), but would that be an issue for KCS?

Lastly, does anyone know how much the fees are for KCS and KCIS? I find their websites hard to navigate. :) Thanks in advance!

ssheng is offline Registered User
    Wow, it's hard to believe they would intentionally set up a system whereby they had to drop 2/3rds of their students! I am guessing some of those kids would naturally leave anyway, but that sounds like a major disincentive to attend the school and then lose a priority you would have had from being in a different school during the reception year.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Its not a question of they wanting to drop - its something they have to deal with.

The reality is that many parents want their kids to have a Mandarin education but have no idea of the amount of effort it takes to do so. They quickly realize it and pull their kids out.

As for the disincentive : KCS is fairly unique in Hong Kong being only one of 2 or 3 affordable Mandarin schools. There are no shortage of parents and kids wanting to go there.

Most of my son's classmates will not go to KCS primary school, simply because their parents would only consider other government/subsidised schools which almost do not charge them tuition fee (The tuition fee for KCS primary is HK$3,XXX). Parents of KCS kindergarten students came from all walks of life. Some are rich and some are less affluent.

Like ESF Kindergarten, KCS Kindergarten does not guarantee their students can go to its primary section. But, the affordable tuition fee (HK$1,860 per month or HK$460 with educational coupoun), good Mandarin/English language environment and the growing China economy (the world's second largest) continue to gain appeal to more and more parents to put their kids in the school. Please take a look on the following link which shows you the application period (only two days in this year).

http://www.kcs.edu.hk/kg201110-activity.html

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast