Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Kiangsu & Chekiang Primary School & Kindergarten

ssheng is offline Registered User
    Howard - I can see a lot of non-locals pulling their kids out as the effort to learn Mandarin might be more than what they expected, but I thought you said the school was mostly locals; surely they aren't surprised to see the effort it takes to learn Chinese. That being said, littleho's reason on the cost makes sense to account for the other portion of students leaving the school. I also come from a country that has 'free' public schools, so even the lower price of KCS primary as compared to the international schools is significant.

I didn't realize there were 2 or 3 affordable Mandarin schools. I thought there was only KCS, since the other ones (SIS, ISF CIS, Yew Chung) are all extremely expensive international schools.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Whether local or expat or mixed, the effort is the same. You are learning a new language. Some find its too hard, some parents think its too much pressure for their precious ones, some dont want to pay the fees. The end result is the same : smaller primary student body.

As for fees, I guess it depends on what you define as affordable.
    KCS is around 30-40K
    YewChung is around 70-80K
    Victoria is around 70-80K
    I call those "affordable"
    SIS, ISF, CIS are all near 150-160K -- I call those very expensive.

littleho is offline Registered User
    China, being a developing country albeit the second largest in terms of economic size, is increasingly important. Today, the premier recruiters may require the graduates to speak Mandarin. If China economy keeps growing, graduates who are literate will have definitive advantages in the employment market. Remember Chinese language is far more difficult than English.

KCS Kindergarten is a very good choice and it took me two hours to queue for application for my younger son this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ssheng View Post
    Howard - I can see a lot of non-locals pulling their kids out as the effort to learn Mandarin might be more than what they expected, but I thought you said the school was mostly locals; surely they aren't surprised to see the effort it takes to learn Chinese. That being said, littleho's reason on the cost makes sense to account for the other portion of students leaving the school. I also come from a country that has 'free' public schools, so even the lower price of KCS primary as compared to the international schools is significant.

I didn't realize there were 2 or 3 affordable Mandarin schools. I thought there was only KCS, since the other ones (SIS, ISF CIS, Yew Chung) are all extremely expensive international schools.

Beijingmum is offline Registered User
    I'm a madarin teacher, and I have 4 students in ISF, who is in 1 and 3 and 5 grade, I don't think it's a good choice for none Chinese speaking family .

First is because your kids can hardly reach the standard level both in Chinese and math, cause they learn through the second language.

Second is because they learn traditional Chinese, that's very difficult so your kids need a lot of time to practice it everyday,and it will be no use. I've heard that most of the students are from hk or Taiwan, so, they think traditional Chinese is better for their kids.

Finally, besides 15k per year, u should prepare another at least 5k per year, because your kids can not do everyday home work without a tutor.

So for some parents, it's really a nightmare.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Beijingmum View Post

First is because your kids can hardly reach the standard level both in Chinese and math, cause they learn through the second language.
    Hi Beijingmum, can you kindly clarify what you meant by "they learn through the second language"? What language is Math taught in in ISF?

I'm a madarin teacher, and I have 4 students in ISF, who is in 1 and 3 and 5 grade, I don't think it's a good choice for none Chinese speaking family........So for some parents, it's really a nightmare.
    Let me make this statement : Chinese parents should not send their kids to English schools, especially if they dont speak English. Its too hard on kids, English is a very complicated and funny language plus you will need to spend a lot of money on tutors. Your kids will hardly reach the standard in English and Math because they learn through the second language. For some parents, its really a nightmare.

I hope its patently obvious to all that both of those statements are absolutely ridiculous.

Ofcourse its hard; but for those of us willing to take on the challenge with our kids, it is immensely rewarding.
    Sage and pixelelf like this.

Beijingmum is offline Registered User
    They use putonghua to learn every subject except English. So they can not reach the standard in every subject,for example, a p5 student, his Chinese is usually below p2 and math is below p3, compare to the local Chinese school students.

It's hard to say take challenge, I see the parents and kids are all very frustrated everyday.

So I think it's better for children to learn through their mother language

So I think it's better for children to learn through their mother language
    What advice do you give to Chinese parents who dont speak any English?
    Do you tell them to send their kids to Chinese school because the challenge is too high in learning English?
    kacoak likes this.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast