Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Kiangsu & Chekiang Primary School & Kindergarten

Beijingmum is offline Registered User

Yes, I do think so, and also the challenge is not learning language it self, it's about learning through second language.

My student even can't understand the questions in math homework, how can they do it by themselves?

Use second language to learn is totally waste of time.

Yes, I do think so, and also the challenge is not learning language it self, it's about learning through second language.

My student even can't understand the questions in math homework, how can they do it by themselves?

Use second language to learn is totally waste of time.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

Fortunately, there are schools, parents and experts who disagree with you.
    People will continue to send their kids to learn other languages as well as taking their education in different languages in order to be better multi-lingual people.

If my parents had listened to you, I would not be able to write this message (in excellent English) to you.
    If I had listened to you, my kids would not be able to read history of China as well as LoFuJi in Chinese as well as be able to fully functioning citizens of their of their birthplace

Your opinions on language learning simply misguided and with your attitude on language learning, you are doing your students a dis-service.
    *shrug*

We are talking about different issue, Learning new language is not difficult for kids, and it can be fun, but for the kids who attend CHinese school, things are very different.

I just said what I see, I see them struggle with their home work everyday, Use a lot of time but get little, I see them can not catch what teachers taught, I know learning language is not like this,if u say I'm misguide, then your point can be misguide too.

Fortunately , most students in the world use their mother tone to learn.

Your parents sent u to English school, so u can not write message in perfect Chinese. u want your children attend Chinese school to learn some Chinese.

I was sent to Chinese school, so I can speak and write perfect Chinese but not so good English.

Is there any unfair? Anyone can say your parents were wiser than my parents?

You are missing my point:
    My parents spoke no English at all - they sent me to an English school for my future. I'm grateful and thankful that they had the foresight; I'm completely fluent.

We dont speak any Chinese - my kids are being educated in Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin); they are grateful now that they are trilingual and I'm sure they will thank me even more when they are older.

Yes its hard, but its well worth it.

Your advice of "totally waste of time" is misguided; I hope that people dont follow your advice but rather listen to experts, judge the best future for their children and make up their own minds.

Gemma is offline Registered User

I think there are two different issues here. One is the opportunity to learn a different language, which by all means is one of the greatest gifts a parent can bestow onto their children.

The other is learning other subjects ( maths, science, whatever) at school through this second language. You can say it will enhance one's grasp of the foreign language quicker if one is exposed to it as much as possible. On the other hand, if one's grasp of the foundations of the language is not strong enough, it can affect your learning of all these other subjects to the point where the student could fall behind in everything.

I am all for learning a second language, having been born and bred in Canto and then being sent to an English school. I don't think one can generalize that learning through a second language is a waste of time. Rather, parents will need to have a realistic expectation of what kids can get out of a school that teaches predominantly in the kid's second language, and if understanding the language and thus the teaching is the root of the problem, then there really is no other way but to have to improve the comprehension of this second language first, before all else.

Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
    The other is learning other subjects ( maths, science, whatever) at school through this second language. You can say it will enhance one's grasp of the foreign language quicker if one is exposed to it as much as possible. On the other hand, if one's grasp of the foundations of the language is not strong enough, it can affect your learning of all these other subjects to the point where the student could fall behind in everything.
    The experience I have with myself as well as my 3 kids says that you are certainly correct (they could fall back in everything) but:
    a) if a kid is a normal & healthy kid with no learning difficulties
    and
    b) you give the support they need (extra tutors every single day)
    They will get thru it. They may struggle for a time but persistence will end up leading to a point where they will just *get it* and then they will be fine.

Some parents dont like the idea of tutors but then completely forget about the tutoring they would naturally do themselves if the kids were doing homework in English.

I am all for learning a second language, having been born and bred in Canto and then being sent to an English school. I don't think one can generalize that learning through a second language is a waste of time. Rather, parents will need to have a realistic expectation of what kids can get out of a school that teaches predominantly in the kid's second language, and if understanding the language and thus the teaching is the root of the problem, then there really is no other way but to have to improve the comprehension of this second language first, before all else.
    Exactly!
    The only way to improve that comprehension (whether first or second language) is tutoring.
    If the problem is first language, the parents themselves or tutors need to bring the kid up to speed.
    If the problem is second language, the parents have no choice but to get tutors, every day to bring the kid up to speed.
    Any normal kid will respond to this and the hurdle will pass.
    Sage likes this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast