Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Kiangsu & Chekiang Primary School & Kindergarten

HappyV is offline Registered User
    With all due respect, Howard Coombs, to suggest that any child who has difficulty adjusting to school has a learning disorder is a pretty wild claim.
    Some of the 'adjustment' issues are not always seen at school - some children cope very well whilst at school, but the stress they feel (from a number of causes) then comes out in their behaviour at home. I have seen many instances of parents reporting that their children are tearful at home or worried about school, but we do not see that behaviour in the classroom.

And, if I may also point out, that in my experience of local schools, teachers are too quick to assume that if a child is not 'keeping up' academically, then the fault is with the child rather than with the style of teaching.

In an ideal world, every child would be fluent in several languages. But the reality is that not every child has the ear or the patience or the interest; just as not every child is fond of classical music. I agree that you should try, but I think most parents know their children pretty well - and the scramble for the appropriate school place may trump extra language concerns for many parents. I would certainly look at the whole picture over any one concern -

(Agreed about the Sinfonietta doing a great job with their education programs - their "Classical Music for Babies" series was excellent; well chosen repertoire with just the right amount of chat from the conductor).

Beijingmum is offline Registered User
    Life is so limited, so, u should not push Your kids to do a lot of things that are not so important.

Learning Chinese is good, but as a second language, it's just a tool for communicate.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    With all due respect, Howard Coombs, to suggest that any child who has difficulty adjusting to school has a learning disorder is a pretty wild claim. Some of the 'adjustment' issues are not always seen at school - some children cope very well whilst at school, but the stress they feel (from a number of causes) then comes out in their behaviour at home. I have seen many instances of parents reporting that their children are tearful at home or worried about school, but we do not see that behaviour in the classroom.
    I didnt say disorder, I said learning difficulty. It could be ADHD, dyslexic, emotional issues or one or more of dozens of different problems.
    However you wish to label it, I would say that such a child would not be a good fit for a relatively stressful multi lingual education.
    (Agreed about the Sinfonietta doing a great job with their education programs - their "Classical Music for Babies" series was excellent; well chosen repertoire with just the right amount of chat from the conductor).
    I'm glad we can find something we can both agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by Beijingmum View Post
    Life is so limited, so, u should not push Your kids to do a lot of things that are not so important.
    Life is so limited and if you dont push yourself and your kids, you will miss out on a lot of things in life.
    Forget about Mandarin/Cantonese/English - life is about challenges.
    I believe that kids should be pushed and tested with many challenges; this will make them stronger and better equipped for the real world.

It seems we have different priorities for our kids and we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
    Ai li and carang like this.

NewMommie is offline Registered User
    Outside of Mandarin teaching, how is KCS about other subjects? (Math, history, science, etc)?

KCS is very strong on all subjects with the exception of English.
    Their teaching methods are strict and a lot of it is repetition based similar to many traditional Chinese schools. Many of the students that graduate from KCS primary continue their education in the top secondary schools around Hong Kong.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Howard any feedback on kcis mandarin program? We missed the deadline for kcs application ....

Lemontea is offline Registered User
    Hi all, can you please advise when I should apply for reception/kindergarten at this school? My daughter is currently 24 months old. Thanks!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast