Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Is this an insane idea?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I have a large age-gap between me and my younger sister. When I first moved to Hong Kong, my brother (who is close to my age) also moved to Denmark at the same time. My sister was only 9 at the time and was missing us both terribly.

My brother was going to be in Hong Kong and my mum had the idea of sending my 9 year old sister over to see us both, so her first time out of Australia was by herself ;) She did fantastic on the plane and has since come over again unaccompanied. On her 2nd trip, she was 12 or so and didn't even need to use the "unaccompanied minor" service as she was confident enough to get through the airport herself.

That all said, my sister is quite mature and confident - but her trips over here (she's only come twice by herself) have been extremely positive for her, and though we were a little unsure of how she would go at first, she did great.

I don't know your son and how he will cope on the plane, and I don't know your reasons why you are considering it, (like if both you and your husband be busy with work or whatever)... But the unaccompanied minor program can be great for kids who want/need to travel without their parents. So it's always an option :)

carang is offline Registered User
    the extra 2 years at that age make a huge difference... we are talking more than 1/4 of their lifespan....

i will say that i used to take the greyhound bus for 13+ hours when i was 11... but again... that's a lot older than 6-7....
    Last edited by carang; 09-25-2011 at 10:11 PM.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Oh I know that, I was just sharing my experience. I'm not trying to persuade the OP, I'm just sharing that we've had a really positive experience with it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12