Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Oral contraception

Biggie is offline Registered User

Oral contraception

Hi ladies, if you are on birth control can you share which one? Pills are OTC but o don't want to just pick one off the shelf without some research. I asked my obgy a while ago and he suggested Yasmin. I did a search and found some lawsuits about its side effects so I want to look into other ones. I use to take ortho tricyclen in US but it's not available in hk.
    Btw I'm not nursing anymore so that's not an issue.
    Thx
    Posted via Mobile Device

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    If you want to save some money, you can go to your local MCHC family planning clinic and get the pill for $1 instead of whatever it costs at Watsons. They have obgyns there who will discuss with you your various options (not only the pill, but also if you would consider IUDs, they have that option as well). To go on hormonal birth control, they prefer you to go when you have your period to make sure that you are not currently pregnant.

I'm on Cerazette, which is the progesterone-only pill that breastfeeding mothers take. I am no longer breastfeeding, but the estrogen in the regular pill gives me migraines and so the obgyn at the MCHC told me I should continue taking it even though I'm no longer breastfeeding. It has a slightly higher rate of failure than other birth control pills, which I am "accepting" off (we do plan to have another child, so if the pill failed, it wouldn't be devastating) but for me, not having the awful side effects of the regular pill make it worth the risk. At the MCHC, they gave me 6 months supply for the $1 - previously I was paying something like $150 or so a month at Watsons!! I wish someone had told me about the MCHC earlier!!!

Biggie is offline Registered User
    Thanks I'll look into Cerazette as well.
    I'd rather get sth directly from drug store as I am not registered with MCHC they are not close to where I live and if I get the chance to get out of the house by myself I'd rather do other things like meeting friends or massage rather than going to MCHC clinic =)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    That's fair enough - for me, I don't work and the MCHC is literally two blocks from my house... so in that 1-2 hours, I saved around $900. I can be a bit of a tightwad so for me it was worth the extra time/hassle ;)