Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

5.5 month old has Chickenpox -- HELP HELP HELP

mayami is offline Registered User

5.5 month old has Chickenpox -- HELP HELP HELP

Hello All

My 5.5 month old has Chickenpox and today is Day 1. I'm tensed as never heard a 5 mnth old having one. She has got all over her body and i'm getting all the more tensed as understand that it increases on Day 3/4. Need help

- Pls help me with tips / best practise that i can observe during this time
    -My baby is too small to even express if she is in pain and dont knw how can I mke her pain less
    -Can anyone pls also help me to know where would i get Neem Leaves. This is imp as being told that this reduces the itching and infection post Day 5

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Don't worry! When my daughter was 6.5 months, she had chicken pox.
    Have you taken her to a good doctor? Ours gave us a liquid (I think it was Zovirax???) to give her and it stopped the pox?
    She didn't itch as we were given a second drug to stop the itch and she has lots of calamine lotion.
    She ate as usual, slept as usual ... My husband's words, "She simply looked like she was out of a horror movie."
    Keep her cool, I think the heat makes it worse. We had the air-conditioning going all day at 22 degrees.

We were quite calm so I think it helped. She'll feed off your mood. So, keep calm!
    Hang in there. It's quite an experience especially if you're a first time mum and having to deal with this!
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    It is quite common, especially in countries where varicella isn't given as standard, probably less so here where it is seems to be a more common vaccination. I don't think it hurts so much as itches and small babies don't seem so affected by itching, I guess because they can't obsess about it or scratch like us.

Calamine lotion can soothe the itching as can an oatmeal bath, put a handful of oats in a blender until they're like a fine flour and then dissolve in the bath water.

Quasimother is right, it will probably look pretty bad but if you keep calm your baby should pick up on that.

mayami is offline Registered User
    Thanks Quasimother and Jvn.. I'm relieved after reading your comment.I took her to Dr today and he gave Zovarix (oral) + cream and a calamine lotion. Biogesic - paracetamol for fever after every 4 hours..
    1st time motherhood challenges.. not used to see my daughter in this stage since birth.. Praying all goes ok

Thanks once again

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    That's what so wonderful about this site, the caring and sharing. One of the best things about being in HK.