private doctor in HK rather
    than going to hospital every
    time

3 is it possible that i do
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

sabasaqib is offline Registered User

Number 3 is incomplete here find below number 3

Is it possible that i do not go to public hospital anymore since i have registered and go at time of delivery

4. How much time prior to labour i should reach hospital

5. FYI my first appointment is 8 NOV 2011
    Posted via Mobile Device

mariaindb is offline Registered User

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. No. There are certain public clinic appointments that you must attend. I registered with public system around 2 months pregnant. Then went to private doctor each month until about week 30 or 32. Can't remember exactly. Then you have to go back to the public system.
    4. If your water breaks, there is bleeding, or contractions start, you go to hospital.

Can't remember all the details as it was over a year ago now! Anyone else who can correct what I say, please go ahead!
    Hope this helps...

sabasaqib is offline Registered User

Many thanks forr reply maria
    Means i keep going to public hospital and also keep going to private doc for scans etc this will be the best way i think to keep in touch

My real worry is my labour time when im almost ready to deliver how much time i have to reach hospital
    Hospital is 15 mins by cab
    Posted via Mobile Device

charade is offline Registered User

Saba, just had my public appointment today and clarified whether i need to attend all appointments. I was told the reccomended schedule during pregnancy is once every 6 weeks up to 24 weeks (or thereabouts), then once every 4 weeks up to 32 weeks, thereafter once every 2 weeks. I was told that if I scheduled a private appointment instead, I could skip the public appointment and just turn up on a Tuesday (that is the day my MCH sees mums for antenatal checks). However, after 36 weeks, you have to go for the regular appointments to their clinic if you want to deliver with them... of course, in between, if you go into labour, you go straight to the hospital.
    PS: I also delivered at United Christian and am scheduled to deliver there again (though will probably deliver privately this time)

About time taken to reach the hospital, generally labour is quite a long affair so 15 minutes is fine... especially for first babies. I started getting contractions at 4 am and didn't even bother getting dressed to go to hospital until 9 am, then took the MTR and a minibus! And only delivered at 4 am the next day. Of course, not reccommending you do this; just wanted to give you a sense that from the time contractions start, you should definitely have a couple of hours (at least) before the baby starts making an appearance. In the worst case, you can call and ambulance (for free) and they will arrive in 5 minutes or so.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

If you're worried about the time it takes to get to your hospital, I suggest you do a dry run on how long it takes to get there, especially if you have a car. Familiarize yourself on which lobby, building or floor you will deliver, where you will register upon arrival etc

My husband & I did this. We drove to the hospital, checked out where to park, which building, which entrance etc.

As Charade said, you have plenty of time from the first contraction to the time you actually push. I had 15 hours. 14 hours at home, 20 minutes on the road, 40 minutes in the delivery room.

lorraine is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie_hk View Post
    If you're worried about the time it takes to get to your hospital, I suggest you do a dry run on how long it takes to get there, especially if you have a car. Familiarize yourself on which lobby, building or floor you will deliver, where you will register upon arrival etc

My husband & I did this. We drove to the hospital, checked out where to park, which building, which entrance etc.

As Charade said, you have plenty of time from the first contraction to the time you actually push. I had 15 hours. 14 hours at home, 20 minutes on the road, 40 minutes in the delivery room.
    That is very smart! never really thought of that, but def a good idea as you never know what to expect when emergencies happen and everything is just a rush. I'm nearly 5 months pregnant now..so excited!