Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How long did it take to conceive?

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

I agree about not thinking about it too much. Our second was conceived before we were even trying...we were just thinking about trying! But our first took 6 cycles. My OB commented that often with the first people put too much pressure so it takes longer.

december05 is offline Registered User

Thanks for all your replies everyone! I'm just going to relax and give it some more time :-) I find that sometimes the more things I do (e.g. counting days and charting etc) just makes me more stressed out!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

First time, it took me about 14 months to conceive. Was starting to get worried!! Went to the doc and she recommended trying ovulation kits (I had an irregular cycle, and it was difficult to figure out when my most fertile time would be from month to month, even with charting). After we started using them, it happened very quickly.

After my daughter was born, knowing that it could take a while for us to conceive, and knowing that we'd like kids close together, we just planned to "not try not to conceive" for a while. I conceived in my 1st cycle, had a miscarriage, and then conceived in either my 1st or 2nd cycle after that. WITHOUT charting or using ovulation kits or anything like that...

Sometimes I think if everything lines up right, it will happen. Sometimes that happens, sometimes it takes a while. It's worth charting and using ovulation kits etc, and it's worth seeing a doctor if it takes more than a year (if you're under 35 - more than six months if you're over) - but try not to stress about it (I know, easier said than done) because stress isn't going to help...

Hope it happens soon for you!!

Obiwan is offline Registered User

My obgyn said that even getting the time right (using ovulation test kit), it is normal to take a year to get pregnant :) so don't lose heart!

And maintain a healthy life style...

Obiwan is offline Registered User

July til now is a very short time, way too early to feel worried or stressed :)

december05 is offline Registered User

Thanks nicolejoy and Obiwan! It makes me feel miles better to have reassurance that it can take up to a year. I wish I had known that from the beginning! :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12