Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it possible to take Helper with us to US for a month or so?

lily1221 is offline Registered User

Is it possible to take Helper with us to US for a month or so?

Hi! Does anyone have experience with taking their helper to the United States for a temporary period of time? My family is going on a long overdue trip home for a month or so and would like to have our helper come with us. I'm not sure, though, if it would be possible for her to get a visa? She is from the Philippines. If you have any experience with this - ie: what docs she needs, how the employer can help get the visa, etc. - that would be great. Thank you!

elle is offline Registered User
    It is possible, but difficult to get the visa approved. All the info on the application process, timing, fees and documentation required is on the website of the US consulate in HK. You will need to write a letter in support to help demonstrate her ties to HK and/ or the Philippines. Her chances of having a visitor visa approved will increase if she can demonstrate that she owns property or has minor children in the Philippines. You will also need to have a US employment contract with her and comply with US minimum wage laws when in the States, which will significantly increase her salary for the month. She will have to attend an interview at the Consulate by herself.

kinniechen is offline Registered User
    I can tell it is almost impossible to get a visa for your maid. I tried three years ago as my husband had to study in the States for one year and I am bringing my three-month baby. I made two attempts (paid twice the application fees), providing all the proofs that "elle" mentioned (including a support letter from her church saying she is a devoted Christian) and still could not make it. I was told that it was equally difficult even you have genuine medical reasons.

One year is a long time to request for her to go and it also seems more like a temporary relocation and not a vacation. It also may make a difference if you are a US citizen.

We, and several of our friends of ours (all US citizens), have been able to bring helpers to the US for the summer holidays and other family vacations, although the application being rejected is also possible and has happened to plenty of others that I know. If you would like to send me a private message I can send you a copy of a form letter of support and employment contract that has been used on successful applications. You will need to change the details to confirm your own personal circumstances and see if they will let her go. Two big points - play up that you want to show her your home country in the letter and emphasize, as much as possible, why she will come back to Asia.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Interestingly a friend of mine was able to legally employ and bring his filipino helper to New York when they recently relocated back. I gotta ask him how he did it!!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    yes Obiwan please ask your friend to help us all! :) a friend of mine who's son is mentally challenged had to go to the US for a major surgery - my friend is a single dad and his helper is the sole care taker for his son, therefore he wrote to request that the helper be granted a visa to accompany his son on this major surgery (life saving), but was denied. they would have been there for only a couple months at most...

like elle said - make sure to play up they will DEFINITELY RETURN to asia and get as much proof as possible. i believe it is easier if your helper has had visas issued by other countries though.

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Interestingly a friend of mine was able to legally employ and bring his filipino helper to New York when they recently relocated back. I gotta ask him how he did it!!
    Your friend almost certainly got a letter from his employer stating that his relocation to the US was a temporary assignment (two years or less) and that the employer would be transferring him back overseas. I have several acquaintances who have taken helpers to the US this way. The visa applied for and process are different than the visitor visa you apply for if you want to take your helper on vacation to the US with you for a couple weeks.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Wow -- that's heartless. Poor single dad. Poor kid. I can't believe they didn't let the helper in under those circumstances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast