Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Flu vaccination for baby

aec is offline Registered User
    hong kong

Flu vaccination for baby

Does anyone know which influenza vaccines are available in HK? Our private paediatrician recommends Fluarix or Vaxigrip for babies 6 months plus. The Australian government only recommends Influvac (Abbott) or Vaxigrip (Sanofi Pasteur) for children aged 6 months and above, so not Fluarix (GSK). Our local QHMS GP has Fluarix. Has anyone come across Influvac here?

sea princess is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

flu vaccine in babies?

I am surprised that the Flu vaccine is recommeded for babies of this age in HK? I know there were some big problems with Fluvax in Australia and doctors have suspended using it until some safety issues are dealt with? I think the issue was the addition of the swine flu to the existing vaccine. Might be worth investingating though, I know I would given the fact that your child is only 6 months.

EarlyYears is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I consulted with two doctors when my son was under one year old. I remember all three told me he didn't need a flu vaccine until after one. He then only got his first vaccine when he turned two then every other year after. I don't think it's necessary to get it every year.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    According to our GP here in HK, they only recommend vaccinating babies over 12 months here. I plan on getting my whole family vaccinated, including our helper and our 14 month old, but I don't know what brand they use here.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    The Hong Kong Government's Centre for Health Protection recommends the vaccine for all children age 6 months to 6 years. Very young children are considered a high risk group so I was kind of surprised to hear some doctors are saying wait until age one. In fact the government is currently giving a subsidy to help pay for the vaccine for children over six months.

The US CDC recommends the vaccine for all children over 6 months, provided the child does not have one of the conditions listed here:

Children under 6 months should not get the flu vaccine, and children under 2 should never get Flumist, the spray form of the vaccine that is sprayed in the nose.

The Australia Fluvax had a problem with seizures in children under 5. While the other vaccines were 1 in 1000 having some reaction, the Fluvax had a rate of 1 in 100 and was suspended. The exact cause is still unknown but Fluvax has been withdrawn worldwide while the investigation continues.
    Last edited by penguinsix; 10-10-2011 at 12:14 AM.