Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Night waking

carey is offline Registered User
    hi Obiwan,
    His longest stretch of sleep has been about 4 hours ( used to be longer, 5-6 hrs, before the itch and rolling over), usully between 9 to about 1ish or 11 to 3ish. I sleep trained him (attended CIO) when he was about 4 month. So, he knows how to sooth himself back to sleep when put down awake.

Perhaps non of the mothers in this thread would have done attended CIO at that yong age. But I was quite desperate: He woke multiple times to nurse and sleep cry about every 45 mintues. During the day, It took me close to an hour to rock him to nap for about 30 minutes. His weight is on the 90is percentile. It was backbreaking for me even if I did not mind doing all the rocking.

It turned out it was good that we trained him before his eczema turned itchy. At the most difficult time, he at least knew how to put himself to sleep although he woke to the itch.

I almost wanted to rock him to sleep or co-sleep with him just to stop him from scratching. But I knew neither of us will get to sleep if I do this. Somehow, we meddle through some waking every 2 hour at night until we get his itch undercontrol and started training him again.

When he stated rolling over, I was scared that he would rub his face against the bedsheet which would sure worsen his facial eczema. So I rushed in everytime I heard him crying for help to flip him over to his back.

With a combination of all these, I can't really expect him to sleep all that well. But he naps fine and has a very early bedtime ( 6pm or before).

Hi mavislohsp,
    I try not to feed him everytime he wakes up. But with everything I explained above, I am actually doing it and hoping that he goes to sleep sooner. He does go back to sleep sooner if I nurse him. He only takes a few sips if he is not hungry though.

In the past two weeks, he stays awake after at least one feed a night to roll over, babble to himself or look around and even have a poop. He stays awake for about one hour before settling back to sleep.

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    I found both my sons went through a bad phase of sleeping at this age when they started to get teeth and to move around more. Especially when they rolled one way and got stuck and needed rescuing! I agree with the other posters about the importance of putting them down awake and learning to sort themselves out. I just did it gradually. Around this age I also introduced a small snuggly toy (really like the washable ones from Kaloo) which I helped them get attached to by keeping giving it to them at every sleep. I think this really helps too. When they go into the cot they start looking for their little friend and it helps in the night too. It's still early but over the next 6 months that can make a difference too.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hi Carey, if you recall my earlier posts, my baby was fussy between 7 - 10pm and i was seeking help. All is good now, he is no longer fussy and is very chill and always smiling. Turned out to be a variety of reasons: (1) Rashes - we have hydrocortisone on hand for bad break-out and it usually takes a couple of applications for it to go away, (2) Gas/Reflux - was on Zantac for a few days, but stopped after he caught bronchiolitis and was on nebulizer, miraculously the reflux went away after just like that (fingers crossed), (3) Blocked nose (!) - we had no idea he had a blocked nose, cos it was pretty deep in the nasal passage.

Re CIO. I am a strong believer of sleep training and did the CIO method with my daughter when she was 9 months old. Best decision ever. Took a week and no turning back. She is happy and we are happy. Haven't decided when we are going to sleep train the baby (3 months now) yet, will think about it after we get him to drop his 3am feed first :) Will probably wait until solids is well established ....

Well, you know how it is, when you think you got them all figured out, they will up and change everything you have established :)

carey is offline Registered User
    Hi Obiwan,
    Happy to hear that things have improved with your little one. Was actually going to PM you and ask!

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Thanks Carey, you have been most kind :) really appreciate your concern!!

mavislohsp is offline Registered User
    Hi, thank you for the experience shared above, baby keep changing and seems like there won't be a fixed schedule for a long time. Shall adjust myself to it.

Regards,
    Inexperience first time mom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12