Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Night waking

mavislohsp is offline Registered User

Night waking

Hi,

Lately my 5 1/2 months son keep wake up at midnight crying out loud. I tried to nurse him and put him back to sleep but most of the time it didn't work. He would drink from my breast but if I put him back to his cot he will cry hysterically again.

I checked his nappy, thought that he was not feeling well, but as long I pick him up and cuddle him in my arms he will quiet down, but still, not sleeping.It could happen 2 to 3 times after I put him to his cot to sleep for the night. This has happen for nearly 2 weeks. Has anyone got any idea what could have caused this? Is it something to do with grow spurts? If this is a grow spurts, how come he doesn't seems to satisfied him after feeding?

Can anyone help me??!!

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Teething?

Otherwise perhaps he hasn't learnt to soothe himself to sleep yet?

I couldn't feel anything hard on his gum yet. But yes, lately he like to bite on my nipple, even middle of the night feeding, besides, he will also like to put everything he got in his hand to his mouth and show us the face that he chew it very hard... Is this a sign? I normally put him down when he was drowsy, so normally he will whine or cry a bit before settling to sleep. What do you suggest me to do? Do I carry him or just let him cry?

Lali07 is offline Registered User
    It could be teething. The teeth start to come up bit by bit, so he may not actually get teeth for a while but they still could be sore. Re self soothe, not everyone is into that, and at this age its normal for babies to want to be close to their mothers. Babies have no concept of 'later' or 'mummy is coming back', to them its either now or never, so he may have just reached an age where he is more alert and realizing you are going to put him down and leave..

carey is offline Registered User
    I am experiencing similar situation.

My 5 month old has been waking 4+ time in during his 11-12 hour night since he was about 4.5 month. Early was caused by his icthy eczema. After that is under control, He was waking up to practice rolling over. I was thinking just the other day that since he is quite good at rolling over, perhaps he won't have to wake to practice anymore...

But looks like he is teething too. Just have to accept it then. My older did not sleep through the night until he was 2.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hi Carey, is he sleeping through his core night?

Mine wakes up a couple of times between 7 and 10pm (not sure why he just can't settle well and sleep in a stretch), but after the late feed his core night is ok, he only wakes once for his feed at 3+.

Yeah Carey, I did find my lil one rolling in his crib n wake up with his tummy down. I used to wake him up at 10.30pm for a feed but he couldn't get back to sleep after he woke up when he is about 5 months old. So I heed for the suggestion to let him sleep until he wake up by himself and he actually surprised us to sleep through the night till next morning! well, this only last a few days and now he is back to his night waking again....

So Carey, do u feed your baby everytime he/she wake up? Is it easy for him to go back to sleep after that? Actually I don't mind waking up to feed him but am really troubled when he couldn't sleep back.

Hi lali07,

My baby always wake up when I m about to put him back to his crib, so I hv to wait till he is very tired n b/feed him till he is very drowsy then put him down slowly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast