Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How hard can it be to see an OBGYN?!?!

rooj is offline Registered User

How hard can it be to see an OBGYN?!?!

I have called most of the OBGYNs recommended via here or my Mum's group in HK. I can't get an appointment to see any of them. They are either fully booked or too busy to take on patients going through the public system.
    I have tried Dr Lord, Dr Ferguson, Dr Grace Cheung, Dr. Chan, Dr. Poddar, Dr. Lee... Anyone have any other recommendations of a decent OBGYN because this is getting seriously ridiculous. This will be my second child so I'm only after someone who I can see perhaps 3 x throughout the pregnancy.

Not asking for much I feel.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

If you just want someone who will do additional scans and not much else, I'd recommend either:

a) Dr Cora Ngai, or
    b) Dr Lam Yung Hang

Both of them are experts in prenatal diagnostics and have some of the best ultrasound equipment in HK. Dr Lam can provide you with DVD of ultrasounds with sound included. Not sure about Dr Ngai.

The wait to see Dr Ngai is significantly shorter than Dr Lam - and she can be a little abrupt at times. But she's VERY good at what she does.

I've seen both of them - Dr Lam in my first "normal" pregnancy (where I found him excellent, although the wait was ridiculously long and he was a bit impersonal) and Dr Ngai in my 2nd pregnancy where I needed her "prenatal diagnostics" expertise as my daughter had a congenital condition. Dr Ngai was mostly pretty sensitive and even gave me her personal cell number to call at any time. She was respectful of my decision not to terminate, even though she told me my baby might not survive. The scans that she did were of the highest quality and helped us to know what (non-lethal) condition my daughter did have before she was even born. She also diagnosed a condition that my friend had when around 3-4 other doctors had scanned and couldn't pick up. I have heard some reports of her being insensitive at times - but you can't fault her ultrasound technique!!

Anyway - hope you find someone soon!!

charade is offline Registered User

By Dr. Lee. do you mean Dr. Eric Lee?... I'm surprised! One of the reasons I liked going to him was because I could always get an appointment on weekdays (maybe in a day or two) though Saturdays were a challenge. Are you only looking on HK Island?

cxflygirl is offline Registered User

Try Dr Edmund Hon he is fantastic and I am having my second baby with him. Had the first with Dr Ghosh however the waits can be long. I have not had to wait more than 30 minutes with Dr Hon and he is very detailed and assuring spends quality time with this us. Had I know first time would have gone to him for baby # 1. Plus his charges are reasonable compared to the other expat Dr.

Room 701, Hing Wai Building
    36, Queen's Road Central
    28992293 25263322

bbd
    bbd is offline Registered User

I used Dr Danny Kong. Offices in Central. I did the public hospital for the delivery and he was fine with that. At the time, a few years ago, it was fairly easy to get in. Could have changed now. Maybe best not to mention the public hospital choice until after you get the appointment?!

carang is offline Registered User

dr ngai was my doctor in QMH when i delivered my first almost 7 years ago. i did not like her manner at all. no way would i pay huge sums to see her privately. she didn't like to answer questions, didn't seem to have any sympathy at all.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

would go for Dr Lam Yung Hang - had him for my 2nd and 3rd...waits for me were around 15-20mins which I find reasonable and normally I'd be out of the office within 30-40mins...always parked at the Cheung Kong Ctr and never had to pay more than an hour for parking! He doesn't speak much, but very caring and of course great at what he does. He detected at 35wks that my sons right kidney had "back wash" (don't recall the technical term) and sure enough it's something that we're still trying to "fix" now at the age of 2mths. When my LO was in hospital for 3 weeks, he personally called me to see how things were with my son...hard to believe someone would do that - personally i was very touched.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    dr ngai was my doctor in QMH when i delivered my first almost 7 years ago. i did not like her manner at all. no way would i pay huge sums to see her privately. she didn't like to answer questions, didn't seem to have any sympathy at all.
    You know - I have heard this about her but she was quite nice to me really... granted at the time she was telling me that my baby might have a lethal condition so maybe in those situations she's a bit more sensitive?? She also spent a lot of time talking with me and answering questions - I think that our first appointment was probably an hour long... and when she couldn't get all the scans she needed in that appointment (baby in the wrong position), she had us come back the following day and didn't charge us for that appointment at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast