Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Felt by the yard/metre

Portia is offline Registered User

Felt by the yard/metre

I am looking to buy very inexpensive felt by the yard/metre as I am thinking about making knight tunics for the guests at my son's birthday party. Does anyone know of a specific store or at least a street name (I am guessing in Sham Shui Po) that has stores that sell felt by the yard (not individual pieces of craft felt)?

Also, if anyone has seen anything else good for a knights and castle party, like inflatable swords or inexpensive helmets, I'd be very grateful if you would let me know. I'm sure I can get all the stuff, but it would be great not to have to spend hours traipsing around SSP! Thanks in advance for your help!

carang is offline Registered User

sorry, i DO know a shop in SSP that does felt... if memory serves it was $10/yard with about 30 different colours to choose from. i think it was on nam cheung street, it is on the corner facing nam cheung street. i just can't remember the cross street, sorry!

my suggestion is to take a small sample with you as they likely won't know what "felt" is.

bbd
    bbd is offline Registered User

The lane in central - the west one, has large rolls of felt. I do not know the price, probably more than SSP but time is always a consideration.
    Yu could always make your own swords by buying foam core board and cutting the sword shape. One sheet of board could make quite a few swords. Usually the board is white, but sometimes you can get coloured. Any good stationary shop usually sells it, but you have to ask for it. The kids could decorate them with stickers...

Portia is offline Registered User

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Cara - I will bring a sample with me. A very useful tip! A shop with 30 different colours to choose from sounds very promising.

BBD - I will check the lanes too as I am in Central a few times a week anyway. Thanks also for the sword idea.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Just saw this and it's probably too late but yes, Sham Shui Po has a guy right outside the MTR--if you turn left and walk about 2 blocks down he has a cart and sells felt by the meter in all shades--quite cheap.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK