Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Sanitarium Hospital feedback

Sooney is offline Registered User

Sanitarium Hospital feedback

Hello. Has anyone delivered at the Sanitarium Hospital? I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks so much.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

I delivered my second child at Hk Sanatorium (first one at Matilda) and will go there again if I were to have a third.

The maternity wing is newly renovated so it was luxurious. We had a private suite so that may skew things a little. We had such a good rest that we were thinking of staying an extra night.

Hk Sanatorium is quite different from Matilda (we love our experience in Matilda too). If we were first time parents we would have picked Matilda as they encourage you to be very hands-on, so we were changing nappies, feeding, bathing the baby right off the bat. At Sanatorium we did not change nappy once throughout our stay, every time we asked the baby to be brought to us (you can't walk in and wander around the nursery like Matilda, tho I heard Matilda is also not keeping the nursery door open any mire), the baby had been changed.

Matilda encouraged breastfeeding very positively, while Sanatorium was more willing to give the baby formula, with the approval of the parents of course.

Aside from the facilities, both hospitals are very similar, after all we were using the same doctors. Mid wives and nurses were all very good as well.

My only concern before I delivered at Sanatorium was language. Turned out not an issue as the mid wife and nurses could speak English.

If you were a first time parent and wants to learn and be hands on, Matilda will be a better choice. For us with experience, Sanatorium actually offered us a few days of undisturbed good rest if you can believe it.

Some friends are also of the belief that if there is any medical emergency, Sanatorium will also be better equipped than Matilda to handle it, tho we have never tested it.

The reason we chose Sanatorium over Matilda for the birth of our second was that in 2010, Matilda had some staffing issues and there were several days registered patients were turned away when they called to be admitted as there were no rooms available. My obgyn who delivers at Matilda confirmed this, and my friend experienced it!!! She called when her contraction started and they advised her to wait at home cos there were no rooms!!! She and her husband were desperately trying to get another hospital while she was dealing with her contraction. Matilda eventually called and said a room freed up and she could go in but she was too advanced in her labour to get epidural. We didn't want to deal with this stress and wanted to be assured (as much as possible) that when we call the hospital, we can actually be admitted! Sanatorium has a better track record in this respect.

Having said the above, both hospitals are very good!!! You will be happy delivering in either :)

Sooney likes this.

miran is offline Registered User

I delivered our first baby at Sanatorium and would highly recommend the hospital. We were in a semi-private room. A lot of our freinds have been delivering at Matilda - summing up the pros and cons (just our expereince):

1. Sanatorium is very well equipped as a hospital. In terms of staffing, infrastructure and facilities. We found that very comforting.Matilda pitches itself as a boutique luxury hospital. They dont claim to and cant handle more complex issues.
    2. Sanatorium had excellent lactation experts. There are a number of nurses whose lacation certificates have been put up in the nursery. They are very pro BF. Though I dont think they push locals / mainland mothers to breast feed; if you want to BF they are very encouranging. By the time I left Sanatorium, I was very settled in my BF routine and that helped in months to come. Matilda though has fewer lactation experts - a couple of my freinds have struggled. Though most have had adequate support. In one case a midwife was the best lactation expert available. I have absolutely nothing against that. But at that price, we expected better.
    3. Sanatorium doesnot and wouldnot provide parenting tips - how to bathe our baby, nappy changing etc. That's mostly because they are a much bigger hospital and have many more babies in their nursery at any given point. We didnot have a problem with that but it does make for a good expereince.
    4. Langauage was not a issue in either. Mailda ofcourse has better English so to say.
    5. We were quite put off by no security at nursery in Matilda. Anyone could walk in and walk out, touch any baby, not wash / clean hands. A couple of times there were no nursing staff around. But as obiwan says that has changed.

Most of our freinds have been happy with their Matilda expereince. It's a very comfortable place to stay. We were looking for more of a "hospital" with comfort so preferred Sanatorium.

Sooney likes this.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

On the contrary, we find Sanatorium more comfortable than Matilda. After the renovation, Sanatorium is like a hotel, and we like that the room is bright and cheerful, whilst Matilda is older and darker.

I missed mentioning earlier that I didn't like it that Sanatorium did not provide things like sanitary pads etc. Matilda provided everything, I didn't have to use anything I brought along.

Sooney is offline Registered User

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your help. I will be booking a tour there for sure.

TungBB is offline Registered User

If you decide on Sanatorium, better book it quick. When I was just 5 weeks, my doc tried to book for end of March which was my EDD. But it was fully booked for March. So we have to booked 1April instead.
    Posted via Mobile Device

miran is offline Registered User

Obiwan - So true. I have been thinking Matilda seems a bit dark / not so plush anymore. But have been brushing it off as my bias.

And yup - I had to buy pads too. That was a bit irritating.

hazelnut is offline Registered User

These are really helpful tips. I will be delivering there in Dec. Besides pads, was there anything else you needed to bring along that wasn't provided? Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast