Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Advise Needed - Queen Mary vs. Maltida with No Insurance

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    If it's a "normal" pregnancy then Matilda would be the choice - only because the personnel there are great and accomodating. QMH nurses and doctors are great too - but there are many restrictions as the to time you are allowed to feed your visit / feed your baby (though they ARE pro-breast feeding) they do not have enough staff to teach you each time - Matilda would have the people.
    You also get lovely wards, beautiful grounds, nice chairs&sofas, many rooms with views and top notch food along with native english speaking staff and floor & room mates from the monied classes.

Since you will be paying out of pocket, this privilege will cost you approximately $30,000 per day.

Personally, I would have much better things to do with $100,000HKD (a typical 3 day stay in Matilda) than to spend it on a 3 day hospital stay.

HC
    curlybaby likes this.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    The other thing to keep in mind is that your bill may blow out above 100,000. Although you will be quoted a certain price, my bill and that of my friends always came to around 15-20% above that. ?underquoting - not sure, but is was always consistently the case. I guess at the end of the day each birth has things come up that the doctor nor you expect and it just tends to add to the bill e.g. a bit more bleeding, so extra blood tests were needed, baby looked a bit yellow and again extra tests needed.
    One other note though, in general you do see more senior, established doctors when you deliver in the private and if you don't like their bedside manner you can change. The people who deliver you and examine your newborn in the public tend to be on the more junior side and you can not choose.

End of the day, it depends on what is important to you and what you can afford. Lots to think about.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I don't think that many people have done private AND public - most I've talked to seem to do one or the other.

I personally didn't think it was worth $100,000 for three days. I delivered both my girls at QMH. It is "adequate". I have my (many) annoyances with the hospital, but nothing that I would pay $100,000 to avoid.

I have friends who did go to Matilda without insurance and they were happy with their decision. I have even thought that if/when we have a third child, I might do that myself. We are earning more than we were three years ago when my eldest was born and it would be less of a blow to the budget... BUT $100K is $100K no matter what you're earning and I don't know if I could justify it...
    bridiemexico and mummymoo like this.

carang is offline Registered User
    no way on this earth could i contemplate spending that kind of money for a 3 day visit (and delivery of my child).

if it's western food you want and you are at QMH, order from sohodelivers. they'll deliver right to the ward-room door (not into the ward). i did it many times in my numerous hospitalisations.

even if i splurged and bought every meal from sohodelivers, i'd still have $98000 left to:
    1) take a trip
    2) treat myself to post-natal massage
    3) put into an education fund
    4) pay for a helper for about 28 months (at minimum wage)
    5) buy a decent second hand car
    6) invest

sorry, while i love the idea of a hotel-like stay, what was important to me was the medical care that my babies would receive. the place for that is QMH, not matilda. of course, not everyone is the same... that's just me.
    howardcoombs and shwetakhanna like this.

charade is offline Registered User
    I don't think that when people to go private - whether Matilda or anywhere else - a hotel-like stay is at the top of their minds. I went public last time and what has made me choose private this time is:
    1. Ensuring an epidural if I want one. I was induced but did not manage to get an epidural last time.
    2. Not having to see the horrid doctor who was on call the night I delivered. Instead having a doctor who will actually listen to me.
    3. My epistiomy cut was huge and the wound did not heal till more than three months after. Basically, the stitches did not dissolve. I could actually see the blue thread. This could be attributed to the quality of the thread used or the skill of the person who did the stitching. Don't know if anyone else has faced this problem or I was the only lucky one.
    4. Choice to walk around and try different positions during active labour. I suppose one could do this if one fought for it as some have done but why should I have to?
    5. While breastfeeding support is good and I understand the need for (and appreciated) the nursery, I would have liked a little more flexibility in when I could feed my baby. There were times when I had to wake him up when I knew he had just gone to sleep.
    6.Clean toilets. The toilets were not exactly dirty... but urine (and the odd spot of blood on seat) was more common than I would have liked.

I don't mean to put people off the public system. It is good enough considering the price and if I had to, I'd do it again and wouldn't stress. But it is not ideal - and I think hospitals like Matilda try to be ideal in terms of accommodating the woman's wishes and making things comfortable. I delivered at United Christian and not Queen Mary - which I know is more accommodating but I still think there would be a huge qualitative difference in terms of experience. Labour is hard and I don't think it's silly to want to spend on making the experience as comfortable as one can afford (and I don't mean sea view or nice food...I mean what I listed above).
    mummymoo likes this.

carang is offline Registered User
    charade, i agree with you... but to me, what you listed is not worth $100, 000+.

if i had insurance that covered it entirely, i would do it in a heartbeat. but without insurance, it would not even be contemplated.
    howardcoombs likes this.

charade is offline Registered User
    Yeah, at the end of the day, what a certain amount of money means to each person is really subjective and a lot depends on financial position. If you're going to be breaking the bank or really compromising on your kid's education or future healthcare to go private, then forget it - go public. If, like me, you're somewhere in the middle where the amount is not inconceivable (even without insurance) but yet not an expenditure that can be made thoughtlessly then there are pros and cons to consider.

I think it's good to keep in mind what your upper limit it - if 100,000 is your upper limit and that's what they quoted, I'd look elsewhere. I chose a hospital which quoted 60,000 so I have some margin for stretching in the worst case.

Junebugwhite is offline Registered User
    I just delivered at Matilda, and and an emergency c section. The midwives made it for me. They were so helpful with breast feeding, I had a lot of issues and they were just amazing to me. I actually cried when I left because I did not know what I would do without them. What people say is right though...the cost came out to be a lot more than I had bargained for....but of course emergency c section more expensive. Came out about 80K HK higher than we thought.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast