Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Advise Needed - Queen Mary vs. Maltida with No Insurance

mela is offline Registered User

Carang - I think you made your point clear and more than once. I dont think comments "you are luck you can afford it not everyone can" bring much to the discussion The first poster asked a question and we all including you spoken our minds not much point going on in circles. I'm sorry you had tough time during your pregnancies - I suppose we are very lucky we can all fall back on public system which is great in this country especially when in trouble. However the question was about making choices on the assumption all is well. Matilda is not just a hotel it is a medical facility and yes for extreme cases the baby or the mother would get shipped out to QMH but this would happen in many other hospitals in England which are not the teaching hospitals. It is however equipped and prepared to receive babies from 36 week of pregnancy and including twins. My baby was slightly premature and I delivered in Matilda with full confidence that the doctors in charge would make the right decision. I also think that there are as many people who will vote for private system as there are for the public one.And yes it goes without saying the private health system is expensive. So this discussion could go for another two years and never conclude.
    I have never come accross a person who said anything negative about their experience in Matilda.

carang is offline Registered User

yes, i have a problem sometimes "belabouring" my point. ;) will attempt to shut up now.

mela is offline Registered User

I wasnt trying to be mean - I think we all sometimes have a tendency to do so:)

sometimes, i feel that those who went to places like matilda look down on those of us who didn't... so, i tend to get a little defensive about it. if i'd had insurance, i'm sure i would have made use of it. we didn't. neither are we here on a big "expat" salary. i married a local who grew up in gov't housing...so money IS an issue for us... and a very important one.

maybe to console myself with having to make-do with the public system, i, myself dismissed Matilda as a lot of very expensive window dressing.

either way, i still have two happy & healthy children. and while my pregnancies (and first delivery) read like something from a horror story, i can't blame the public system for it... they delivered my two greatest achievements and kept me from having a stroke/heart attack during delivery.

meimeid is offline Registered User

Just wanted to second on Blessed experience at QMH. I also went private at QMH and had a great experience with almost all benefits as a private hospital. Got guaranteed a private or semi-private room, access to expertise for complicated cases, one doctor handling everything, hubby had the choice to stay the night, someone ready at push of a button, nurses to help with BF, baby rooming in but could stay at nurses station as well if I needed rest, visiting hours are longer compared to public ward. When you check in you have to pay a deposit of 100K, I think my bill ended up being a little above 50K (induced vaginal birth, with forceps, 1st class room for 4 nights), but I'm not 100% sure since they send the bill directly to the insurance company.

laminkins is offline Registered User

I had a private room at Matilda. Everyone went great during the delivery and after. The midwives taught me so much about how to look after the baby and of course, I think I had the best obgyn in hk. I had the best view from my balcony too ... Having said all at, the 5 day "spa" experience came to 170k... Even the tv was a nice flat screen. Food was good and I bet the nurses would've given me a foot massage if I had asked for one. They looked my little one v well.

My friend delivered at qmh on the private stream. She had a good delivery and mother and lil one were both well looked after. I think she paid a third of what I did. If wasn't on full coverage insurance, there was no way I would have forked out that much monkey for maltida, I would rather have used it on a few years' worth of vacation

wah! i didn't know that there was insurance out there that would cover $170k! then again, i never imagined it could cost that much @ matilda!

may i ask if you paid the insurance premiums or if it was your employing company?

hmm....i think i am going to dream about such service when i go to bed tonight! LOL!
    ps> for 170K they darn well better have brought you tea when you buzzed!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

I cant comment on company insurance, but you can get personal insurance that will cover the 170K.
    Last I checked (a couple of years ago), PPP AXA Gold costs around 5000GBP per year (around 60,000 HKD) and will cover maternity after 18 month wait.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast