Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Advise Needed - Queen Mary vs. Maltida with No Insurance

carang is offline Registered User
    hmmm.... that's a hefty premium! after 18 months, you've covered a fair percentage of the cost....

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    *smile*
    insurance companies are not there to lose money
    *smile*

PPP Gold is one of the best ones around. It certainly is expensive, but its coverage is practically limitless. Anything, anytime, any doctor for very long lengths of time.

rani is offline Administrator
    Healthcare international covers us$25,000 and the premium is not that high.
    TheQuasimother likes this.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Cara - I always appreciate your candour. And, it is extremely refreshing as there are many of us who aren't covered by insurance paid for by employers! So keep it up! But, your perception is so wrong though. I don't know any mum who would smugly look down upon anyone who didn't deliver at Matilda, that's just downright silly and arrogant! I'm always amused by such expats who do put up such pretenses! It's almost as if they've forgotten their regular Joe/Jane existence in life back home! Here, they are royalty but back home, their just regular Janes/Joes! LOL!

There are insurers out there who will cover most of Matilda's bills as long as you are not opting for the single room. I would rather go home and deliver than deliver in HK, especially with a complicated pregnancy. Just wanted to add, about insurers, I was covered partially for Matilda for a regular pregnancy but the minute I was considered complicated, there was a part of the pregnancy when the doctor was worried that I had placenta previa, the entire pregnancy would have been covered in full! So in all honesty, in my case, I was NOT worried at all about the hospital bill.

Also, had I not had insurance coverage in HK that allowed me to deliver privately or I did not have the money for a private delivery, complicated or otherwise, I'd not have had my second bub in HK. There is no bloody way, after a beautiful birth experience for the first one, which did get complicated as he was coming out, I would have used the public system in HK, which is probably adequate enough given that many use it.

Birth is a beautiful experience and an amazing experience. For me, it was something I wanted to control in terms of experience. So the money I paid, on top of insurance, was money well spent. And really, if you can afford it, Matilda, is an experience!
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Rani, HI may cover 25K USD. PPP covers 2Mil USD

Its expensive but that is one of the reasons I chose it, strictly for insurance in case something went really wrong.
    For us it turned out to be a very good choice as our 3rd one ended up spending 2 extra weeks in a box as he wasnt cooked properly :-)
    The total overall bill came to over 250K HKD and it was fully paid up by insurance.

Aside : we did not use Matilda. We visited several hospitals and we really didn't like Matilda. It was all a bit over the top and not something we desired. We had our 3 babies at Adventist. If I had to do it again, knowing what I know now, I would choose Sanitorium and I would pick a different doctor than Sally Ferguson...
    Last edited by howardcoombs; 10-27-2011 at 11:52 PM.

They cover 100% if there are complications. Up to$2mil as well

http://www.healthcareinternational.c...nPlans_USD.pdf
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Now that I looked at both in detail, I see that the major difference between the 2 plans is the chronic illness cover.
    HI seems to cap this at 200K lifetime which is too low.
    Going for chemo and/or kidney treatments in private hospitals will eat that up very quickly.

BTW: we dont have that level insurance anymore. Once we had our children, I reduced the coverage :-)

For chronic and transplants I would go to queen Mary. They hv the best teams.
    2010-NewDad likes this.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast