Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

When to start using OPK's with an irregular cycle

calypso is offline Registered User

When to start using OPK's with an irregular cycle

Hi,
    I have been off the pill for almost 10 months and my cycle has gone up and down between 29 and 67(!) days . Averages out to a 50 day cycle.

I had some pre-pregnancy checkups back in January which included an ultrasound so my doctor doesn't think there's anything wrong there.
    I have bought some ovulation tests but I'm wondering when to start using them.
    Any advice?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    It would be REALLY hard to use an OPK with that kind of cycle!! When I was trying to conceive, my cycle was between 29 and 35 days. I was advised to take the shortest cycle (for me, 29 days) and start half way through. I started on day 13 but didn't get a positive until day 22 or so!! Those things are not cheap either. I actually purchased some from the US where they are much cheaper than here.

Do you take your temperatures? That should give you some vague idea on when you ovulate - if you don't want to "waste" your money, you can just take your temperatures for a couple of cycles first and then test just around the days when you expect that you may be ovulating. Although that may not work as well with your irregular cycles...

All the best!!

calypso is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes my cycle is all over the place, it's been gradually going up. The 67 days was my last one.
    I bought my test from US also (saveontests.com), about US$20 for 50 so not so bad.

I have started taking my temperature this cycle but I got the impression it was to figure out a pattern, which I thought perhaps wouldn't help me since it is so irregular. But I'll continue, perhaps it'll help.

Thanks for the advice. Never thought this would be so hard.