Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Real Optometrists in HK?

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Real Optometrists in HK?

I need to have a proper eye examination done by a full-fledged optometrist. I know in HK when you go to buy glasses they have a tech that checks your eye prescription but I need something beyond that because I need an optometrist who can check for other eye health issues. I'm renewing my driver's license.

I really am not familiar with this. Can anyone suggest good eye doctors and how much they charge.

Thanks.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

elle is offline Registered User

Are you looking for an optometrist (health care professional licensed to provide primary eye care services) or an ophthalmologist (medical doctor specializing in eyes)? The former, if properly educated and licensed, is qualified to examine, diagnose and treat visual conditions including nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism and presbyopialatter and to examine and diagnose eye diseases such as glaucoma, cataracts, and retinal diseases (but confirmation of diagnosis and treatment would have to be done by an opthamologist).

The link is to a short list of opthamologists in HK. Husband has used Dr. Walton Li. Sorry, not sure about his fees.
    http://hongkong.usconsulate.gov/acs_...lmologist.html

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

Optometrist should be sufficient for what you are looking for. We have been going to see Rufina Chan for close to 10 years:
    http://www.familyeyecare.com.hk

Fees are in the range of 250-400 depending on the full range of tests required.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by elle View Post
    Are you looking for an optometrist (health care professional licensed to provide primary eye care services) or an ophthalmologist (medical doctor specializing in eyes)? The former, if properly educated and licensed, is qualified to examine, diagnose and treat visual conditions including nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism and presbyopialatter and to examine and diagnose eye diseases such as glaucoma, cataracts, and retinal diseases (but confirmation of diagnosis and treatment would have to be done by an opthamologist).

The link is to a short list of opthamologists in HK. Husband has used Dr. Walton Li. Sorry, not sure about his fees.
    http://hongkong.usconsulate.gov/acs_...lmologist.html

Thanks. I am looking to be seen by an optometrist. Thanks for the list. :) I'll check and see.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Dr Albert Lau at Lane Crawford House is good - don't know his price range though....sorry!

hk-phooey is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    I need to have a proper eye examination done by a full-fledged optometrist. I know in HK when you go to buy glasses they have a tech that checks your eye prescription but I need something beyond that because I need an optometrist who can check for other eye health issues. I'm renewing my driver's license.

I really am not familiar with this. Can anyone suggest good eye doctors and how much they charge.

Thanks.
    I've been to and have referred people to this guy http://www.hkappo.org.hk/member/gregwu/. The photos are old but don't let that put you off.

I can recommend him and he's also very good with kids, his receptionist Vicky has basic English but he's great. The eye test is $450/500 if I remember correctly but very thorough and if it's your first usually takes about an hour so allow for that when you're scheduling your appointment.

He carries frames but if you want to buy your own frame from somewhere else and take it to him for the lenses he's fine with that too or at least he's done that for me.

sundayz0 is offline Registered User

Hi,

Not sure if anyone is still checking this thread, but I am also looking for a good optometrist in HK to get my contact lens prescription checked. I'm particularly interested in someone who is good with dealing with high myopia, as I am very near-sighted (my contact lens prescription is -13d.o.).

I went to Polyvision a couple years ago and was pretty frustrated with them. After going through the whole rigamarole with them of getting my eyes examined, they said they didn't have any contact lenses that fit my prescription and couldn't order any for me! I ended up taking the prescription and ordering new lenses through my old optometrist in the US, which was also somewhat of a hassle. Hoping to avoid that this time around.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Pandy is offline Registered User

I was going to recommend Polyvision but see that you have already tried them before. I used the Polyvision clinic last year - I found the service fine.

You could try the eye clinic in Central operated by HK Sanatorium. Details are here: Department of Ophthalmology