Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adventist is going to be full

cxflygirl is offline Registered User

Adventist is going to be full

I was told by a friend that Adventist is full tomorrow in which I am scheduled to have a c section. Apparently they can at time place mum on a different floor than the nursery. I am planning to breastfeed but told that the baby can not leave the nursery floor so I am feeling very anxious. Anyone experience this. The mother needs to go to the nursery to breast feed however that can be possible after a c section. I will be so pissed tomorrow if I am not allowed to breastfeed immediately !! Should I kick up a fuss? Just don't need this stress at the moment.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Maybe speak to your doctor about it. They should be able to tell you a) if it's true and b) exactly what will happen in that eventuality, your doc may well have more influence on where you get a bed than you could have? Also, it may be full now but perhaps they will be discharging people tomorrow or something... definitely check with the doctor and the hospital and then see what your options are.

Good luck.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Don't get too stressed about it right here and now. You need to focus on relaxing for the baby's sake. Yes, whatever will happen from the bed situation is not great but the MOST important thing is your bubs and nothing you have mentioned above will compromise his or her outcome.
    I agree given the exhorbitant fees these hospitals charge you should not have to feel this stress, so I would write long complaint letter if this comes to pass. And address it to the CE.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I have a friend who was in that situation - scheduled C section, maternity was full, she and baby were on different floors. It was a horrible experience for her.

In my friend's situation, she was able to go on to breastfeed despite being separated from her baby. It wasn't a "make or break" issue in the breastfeeding experience.

Is it possible for you to cancel your C-section and reschedule for next week or something? I don't know your medical history or why/when you are having a C section, and even if your doctor would be able to do that... but I DO know that if you have heard that is what will happen, it is not unlikely. Adventist does that. Maybe not "frequently" but it does happen...

Either that, or you would need to prepare yourself for that situation. In some ways, at least knowing about it in advance is "better" than finding out after your C-section...

All the best... xox

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    I am given to understand that for scheduled c sections, because it is already planned in advance, the hospital will have a room allocated already, unlike natural birth.

nino is offline Registered User
    Unfortunately, this happened to me three years ago (almost to the day). I had a c-section scheduled, was put on the fifth floor (surgery) after delivery while my baby was on the second floor in the nursery. In retrospect I wish I had made much more of a fuss, although truthfully I don't think anything would have changed. It was the worst experience I've ever had, though it was also the happiest day of my life.
    My advice would be to contact LLL and get some advice from them. Also, figure out a plan b if possible - maybe start pumping right away (not ideal, but at least it's breast milk, my daughter was given formula).
    In the end, I breastfed for 2.5 years and have a very strong, attached relationship with my daughter. Sometimes I think it was because of the difficult start, I was very determined to form a bond.

cxflygirl is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the response. Well I am schedule at 38 week and doctor recommended a c-section since my first was an emergency. I will find out in the morning, my doctors nurse called me this evening and I told her that I am aware that only one patient is expected to check out tomorrow from the ward. I was not happy about the arrangement so she mentioned I could reschedule it needed when I checked. I may consider this option as I prefer to have the baby in the same room and I can imagine to have to take the lift to the nursery every time I need to feed. I just don't understand this policy I mean I am giving birth to my baby so in theory I should be able to carry him or have him brought to me anywhere in the hospital. I hope I am not going to regret giving up my booking at Matilda.. which was amazing.

carang is offline Registered User
    pumping right away? most women don't have milk production for a day or two after the birth. you get colustrum immediately after birth and there isn't usually much of that... it's kind of like a "concentrate" for babies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast