Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Frequent fever and throat infection

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User

Frequent fever and throat infection

For the past 9-10 months , my 3.5 yr ols has been sufferni from high fever with throat /stomach infection every month. Every 4-5 weeks, she is down with high fever ,sometimes with cough and congestion and sometimes with stomach infection. Have been going to see the same doctor everytime, he has all her records. For the last couple of times, i have been asking him that why is the fever coming back again and again every month, should we get some blood tests done, or do we need to take up some antibiotic course or something else. But he just says that this is normal in HK for kindergarten kids, they seem to catch virus very soon, once from school, next time from playground etc etc.
    But now i am getting more worried. I find this too frequent. She is active even when she has fever, but her diet just goes down to zero. Normally also she is not very good at eating, so i m planning to start some multivitamins to supplement her diet.
    Has anyone been through the same? What did you do? Is this normal for kindergatren kids?

Thanks.

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    Does he do any kind of testing for strep throat? What is usually prescribed for your daughter when she gets sick? Does he check everything including her ears? When my daughter was in daycare back in the states she got sick literally every week! She had constant ear infections, asthma, and several bouts of pnemonia. Kids do get sick a lot but it is important that your daughter is thoroughly checked each time.

yes, he checks her chest, back, ears, eyes, throat, skin for any rashes. For the medicines, its generally one each fo fever, cough, congestion and an anti allergic.

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    I wasn't sure about your answer to strep throat testing. Does he stick long q tips to touch the back of her throat and test for strep? There are two tests that are typically run: one you can get the results within 20 minutes and the other takes about three days to see if any bacteria is grown. Typically both tests are done when checking.

No, he does not do strep test, just check a normal check.