Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

What is the best (or good) stroller for Hong Kong? (from birth until 2 years)

trttrt is offline Registered User

Just FYI: alya, they have bebecomfort at lee garden two at causeway bay. Same floor as mothercare.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    We always go back to Combi strollers--they don't hold up as well for wear and tear as McClarens do but they are sure a lot lighter and have unique folding designs.
    The design isn't unique at all - there are at least two other brands with almost identical folding designs sold in Hong Kong.. Graco is one, I forget the name of the other. We found little difference in price, quality or design between them so ended up choosing the one my wife liked the colour of best.

For nicolejoy - not sure why you think the build quality of Combi is unsafe (what do you do with your stroller?!) but we use ours on pavements, escalators, grass, hills etc with no problem.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I just find it more "wobbly" and so I would worry more on escalators etc. The Maclaren is a similar weight but much sturdier, in my experience. I have only used friends' Combi's for short periods of time, as well as testing them in the store, so haven't used them too much really - but just from my limited experience, the "wobble" makes it seem less safe to me. Whether it is or not is debatable, but just to me I felt safer with a sturdier Maclaren. I'm not a stroller expert, by any means, but that is my opinion on the different brands :)

inkmink is offline Registered User

Another vote on Maclaren Quest. I also used Ergos carrier in the first 6 months. Even now, we prefer the Ergos to using the stroller when we go to town. My daughter is 10 months old. I bought the stroller when I was 4 months preggers in the UK.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by elle View Post
    I do know a number of people who have used Combi strollers (and they are nice and light and easy to fold), but the problem that we had with them is that the handle doesn't adjust and was just too short for both me and my husband, so wouldn't work for us. The Mclaren is a bit taller. I also personally prefer the more robust frame.

Agree with thanka above - that ergo baby carrier is fabulous, we used the same, its much better than the bjorn on your back.
    The Combi urban has a higher than usual handle and that's why we picked it--it was great for a taller person. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

banane76 is offline Registered User

How about double strollers? Any recommendations? I have a 7 month old and an almost 2 year old. Debating over a sit and stand versus the phil and teds....

thanka2 is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=2010-NewDad;1103969]The design isn't unique at all - there are at least two other brands with almost identical folding designs sold in Hong Kong.. Graco is one, I forget the name of the other. We found little difference in price, quality or design between them so ended up choosing the one my wife liked the colour of best.

The urban one I had folded even tighter than the regular Combis and whether it's "unique" or not is really not the point. The point is that it folds up small. We have a different style of Combi now that doesn't have the same fold as mine did. Yes, there are lots of other choices out there but I have never found anything as light and flexible as my Combi urban was.

Also, Graco, to me is even more bulky than I like because I live a 20+ minute walk from "civilization" and the only way in and out of where I live is one small infrequent mini-bus that people are scrambling and pushing to get on because it's always packed--so for me, something very, very small and extremely foldable but sturdy and durable is what I needed. At the time I was doing everything solo and had really severe back problems so I needed something light.

I'm guessing people who live in the city and mostly are on well-paved roads (some by us are not paved) and going in and out of the MTR won't really find any of this an issue.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Zergmei is offline Registered User

When I first came to HK, I had an Aprica (jap made light weight, foldable with 1 hand, handles could move forward and backward, quite similar to combi) which had wheels that could not handle the HK roads. Only suitable for indoors or very well paved roads.

Baby Bjorn was lousy and gave me a bad back. Ergo was fantastic (try to get it during SOGO/CitySuper sales)!

I got a Maclaren XLR which is perfect for the lousy HK outdoors and escalators...but not as easy to fold (same method as Chicco).

My kid is now 21 months old and I use the Aprica for travelling or any trip that requires getting in and out of taxis/ having to put it in the boot by myself. I use the Maclaren XLR (with extra huge wheels) for normal HK road conditions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast