Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

What is the best (or good) stroller for Hong Kong? (from birth until 2 years)

Alya0682 is offline Registered User

What is the best (or good) stroller for Hong Kong? (from birth until 2 years)

Hi,
    I am based in Hong Kong and 22weeks pregnant.
    I was looking at baby strollers, and just found that it s quite difficult to pick the good one in Hong Kong. I checked in Eugene, BtoB and Mothercare, and could not get any good advice from seller there.

I heard Bugaboo are quite good. And i only know Bebe confort french brand, but dont think we can find in HK.
    I alsoe checked on internet, looking for good comment on Bugaboo and found out that the Bee is not that good for new born (as baby can not lie down flat)....

Please let me know you have any advice for a good stroller from birth, compact and cosy for the baby. I dont have a car yet, so it s possible i will use mtr and taxis for the 1rst few months.
    Also when have you bought your stroller for your new baby (2-3 months before due date?)

Thanks for your help

Alya

elle is offline Registered User
    If you are going to be using public transport frequently and only want one stroller get a Mclaren, ether the techno or volo. Techno lies completely flat so can be used from birth, volo you can use after several months. We didn't use a stroller much for the first six months and instead preferred a pouch/ sling. Didn't buy a stroller until after baby was born.

There are a bunch of posts on here comparing various strollers. If you're looking at a Bugaboo, definitely get the bee. The others are way too difficult (and big) for public transport/ taxis and must be taken apart to fold, which you can't do while holding an infant.
    Last edited by elle; 10-26-2011 at 10:18 AM.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    We use a Combi one, about HK$1500 and very compact/light. It also folds up very easily for storage. Not sure of the exact model but it looks like this

We did have a Maclaren one, which was heavier and not nearly as easy to fold up. I looked at all the fancy expensive ones but my view was one is (over) paying for style rather than substance.

If we were doing lots of journeys by car or taxi I would look at one with a car seat though - since we walk or use the MTR it wasn't a big consideration.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    We use the McLaren Techno. Do get one that can lie flat. Otherwise, your first 3 months, you will either be without a stroller, or have to buy a special "newborn stroller", which means like a waste of money.
    We like our McLaren. But we mostly walk / use MTR instead of taking taxis.
    recurring likes this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    We always go back to Combi strollers--they don't hold up as well for wear and tear as McClarens do but they are sure a lot lighter and have unique folding designs. I had a Combi urban stroller that folded up so small that I could wear it on my back like a backpack. Something like this:

It was a great stroller but only lasted about 18 months because we use our strollers very heavily. But, we bought it cheap and ran it into the ground. Before that we had a more "local" brand that I can't even recall right now. It was good but because I'm taller I found that the handle was too low to be comfortable for me and I always felt hunched over while pushing it.

Then we had a stroller similar to a McClaren in style--also can't recall the name and it was probably one of the most comfortable strollers to use--it lasted longer but we ran that one into the ground too.

Now, for our second child we use a Performance Ergo baby carrier and it has definitely been one of our best investments for baby products. When our daughter was a newborn we used the insert and that worked really well. It's a very comfortable pack and much better than dealing with strollers in and out of the MTR (however, if you get a narrow one like most combis and McClarens are you won't have much trouble). But, we rarely use our stroller nowadays as at 4-years-old my son doesn't really need a stroller and the baby carrier is really more convenient.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

elle is offline Registered User
    I do know a number of people who have used Combi strollers (and they are nice and light and easy to fold), but the problem that we had with them is that the handle doesn't adjust and was just too short for both me and my husband, so wouldn't work for us. The Mclaren is a bit taller. I also personally prefer the more robust frame.

Agree with thanka above - that ergo baby carrier is fabulous, we used the same, its much better than the bjorn on your back.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I'm a big Maclaren fan - we have the quest (which I use for my 15 month old) and a volo (which we have used for big all-day trips with my 3 year old). The volo is lighter but doesn't recline. It's great for big days with toddlers but wouldn't buy it for a baby. Even my 15 month old still needs to nap and having a recline feature is important for that age, I find.

I personally don't think that the extra weight of the Techno is worth the extra 5 degrees of recline that you get. It's also more heavily padded, but in HK I figure that probably just makes it hotter for the kid! So I would advise a quest instead of a techno. You "shouldn't" use it for the first 3 months, but carriers are more convenient for that age anyway...

I have tried combi's before and found them so wobbly/rickety. I know they are a bit lighter, but I prefer the sturdiness of Maclarens, particularly since HK is not exactly stroller friendly so you're often going up and down steps and gutters, going on escalators etc. I feel much safer with the Maclaren, personally.

I know a lot of people like the bigger "systems" with bits that clip out to use as a car seat etc, but I can't imagine using something so huge in HK!!

Biggie is offline Registered User
    I think there was a similar post a while back. You can do a search.
    I love my combi, light weight, one hand fold, washable seat, robust(almost 3 yrs now) and inexpensive.
    I guess it depends on your size and strength and whether you use it for local walks or on public transport.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast