Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Where do you want to buried?

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

Where do you want to buried?

Seeing that Halloween is approaching, I wanted to ask this morbid but serious question: as expat parents, where do you want to be buried?

My husband & I haven't done our will & now that we have a second child, the topic has come up again. We're both born in two different countries, Australia is our home base but Hong Kong is where we live for the moment. If something happens to either one of us, we haven't decided if we want to a) be buried in Australia where we are most likely to come back to or b) be buried in our home countries where ALL of our families live. Given that we might continue with this transient expat life for a while, we were thinking that cremation might be our best option & a memorial service in our home countries. That way, the kids don't have to worry about "visiting" our remains in any country. Any thoughts on this?

PS You can accuse me of going to too many Halloween themed amusement parks!

carang is offline Registered User

i want donate any usable organs and then be cremated. problem solved.

Zoska is offline Registered User

Good question acctualy! We are from different countries too, different continents acctualy! We lived in UK for a while and we call it home, tho non of us is from there and now we live in HK! Have not thought about it!

Liquorice is offline Registered User

I want to be buried in the UK. Next to my parents actually. I have already bought the plot and paid for the funeral service for both my husband and I so that nobody else will have to worry about doing it. Not sure my husband really wants to be buried next to his mother-in-law, but he is going along with it for the time being.

My father is from the US, my mother the UK and they have travelled a lot too, but they needed to pick somewhere so they just chose where they are now. I feel very strongly that I want to be with them but I wouldn't expect my own children to carry that on. Somehow it makes me feel so much better about their eventual deaths, knowing that I will be beside them in no time at all (in the big scheme of things).

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Very interesting question indeed! On my father's side of our family, cremation is a "popular" choice. I am an organ donor (or have stated that I want to be and carry a card that says I am) so my major internal organs would be taken. Then, I think I would prefer a funeral with my body intact because I feel that is important--I think that for "convenience sake" I would just designate that where I'm living at the time should be the location of the funeral. Then, my remains should be cremated and scattered. I probably will request that my remains be repatriated and scattered in my home state after a memorial service is held. This is kind of the way "things are done" in my family.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

AmyH is offline Registered User

I definitely want to be cremated. Not bothered about where my ashes are put afterwards.

Scroll to top