Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Avent vs. Medela breast pump

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I exclusively pumped for my daughter who couldn't nurse - I used a Medela Pump in Style which was fantastic - and after a full year of heavy use, it was still going as good as the day I bought it.

I also have used both the Medela and the Avent hand pumps, and personally I prefer the Medela.

And when my daughter was in NICU, I would use the hospital's Medela as well (QMH) - although I have to say that I liked the pump in style better than the hospital grade pump... dunno why!

bonita is offline Registered User

I bought my medela freestyle from celki at Melbourne plaza 2 years ago & love it. I also own a medela hand pump. I just gave birth to #2 and bought freestyle parts at celki.

trttrt is offline Registered User

Thanks for the advice on celki. Will try my luck! Just remembered that I also hv an avent manual pump. I found my hands v tired after pumping. Even though I thought it was great at removing lumps n engorgements in the beginning of my "milking career". I have only used it a handful of times. Still prefer the freestyle. Whatever it is, I think it is best to get a double pump. I think it's a huge waste of time n milk to pump on a single pump.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Double pump and hands free the way to go :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

With my first child, I breastfed and only pumped a little. She took a bottle no problem, thankfully, but probably had less than 20 bottles (maybe even less than 10) her entire life! I used the milk for mixing into her food though, and I was able to go out without worrying about breastfeeding... With her, a single hand pump was adequate for my needs. A larger, more powerful pump may have led to oversupply and engorgement etc. I personally don't think that a double hands free electric pump is necessary unless you are planning to do a LOT of pumping - ie, if you are working full time, or pumping exclusively. That's just my opinion though :) (although that said, now that I have a double electric, I may still use that next time around, even though I hopefully won't "need" it as badly...)

trttrt is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    With my first child, I breastfed and only pumped a little. She took a bottle no problem, thankfully, but probably had less than 20 bottles (maybe even less than 10) her entire life! I used the milk for mixing into her food though, and I was able to go out without worrying about breastfeeding... With her, a single hand pump was adequate for my needs. A larger, more powerful pump may have led to oversupply and engorgement etc. I personally don't think that a double hands free electric pump is necessary unless you are planning to do a LOT of pumping - ie, if you are working full time, or pumping exclusively. That's just my opinion though :) (although that said, now that I have a double electric, I may still use that next time around, even though I hopefully won't "need" it as badly...)
    Oh yes, v true indeed! I was working full time and it was a breeze pumping handsfree while driving, keke!! :p if I didn't hv so much pumping, prob a single manual would suffice! Gd pt. :)

medela is offline Registered User

Hi, this is Katie from Medela. Thanks for all of the kind words. We really appreciate it! If you'd like to connect with more breastfeeding moms, please visit our Facebook page: http://on.fb.me/fb_medelaus

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Even for lower pumping needs, I wouldn't have gone with a manual. I was using a good Medela manual pump and even pumping for a few minutes with that was tiring. When you're a new mother recovering from childbirth (and you never know how that will be) I think if you can conserve energy you're best off. But, I've never had the problem of engorgement due to pumping--I've had the opposite problem of not being able to get enough milk so I needed all the help I could get and a good double electric pump was essential. Even if I was only using it once a day or once every few days I wouldn't bother with a manual pump. If you get some good advice about avoiding engorgement while pumping (LLL can offer that) you should be just fine. Unfortunately, I was never able to hand express as I find it terribly painful even with the "correct technique"--that would be my preferred route if it was possible for me.

["Fun Facts": My guess is that my inability to hand express is due to my "low pain thresh hold" due to having red hair and fair skin. My well-experienced midwife with my first child said that in her experience those of us with red hair and fair skin also hemorrhage more easily. She told me this the first time she saw me in her office and sure enough, I did bleed too much when my son was born and had to be given a lot of pitocin post-partum with my second to prevent the same thing happening again. Interestingly, although I have a lot of the classic signs of "low pain threshold" including sensitive skin (after breastfeeding for 8 months my nipples STILL hurt) I was still able to give birth completely med-free for a combined 55 hours with both of my births.]

Last edited by thanka2; 10-29-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast