Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Avent vs. Medela breast pump

Gracey is offline Registered User

Avent vs. Medela breast pump

I bought a single electric Avent breast pump from Bumps to Babes and it broke after 2 uses. (Suction doesn't work).

When I went back to Bs to Bs, they came me the address of the repair center.

Unfortunately, they gave me Medela's address instead! Since I was there already, I noticed that they had a similar product, but better priced, and also better customer service. Their offices are right in Central and the staff were great, considering that I went in with their competitor's product. ;)

Meanwhile, Avent's customer service was a bit grumpy on the phone. The line was terrible. And you have to go all the way to some place in Tsuen Wan if you want to get anything fixed.

If I could do it again, I'd have bought Medela.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I bought a Medela pump in 2007 when my son was born and used it continuously (I mostly pumped and fed with a bottle...not breastfed--so sometimes, 10 times/day) for 6 months with him. I've been using it pretty continuously for 4 months (beginning with 3 times/day and now 1 time/day) with my daughter and it's working great. Medela replacement parts are quite affordable and I've noticed they have more outlet stores/representative stores around HK now. We even have one near us out here in the New Territories so one day when I needed a part, my husband could run in quickly, pay the $30 HKD and have it back to me within an hour or so. They also back up their products. I had to have some repairs done on mine when my son was little and they got me what I needed in a reasonable amount of time. Medela is also one of the pumps of choice used in NICUs in the US. If you watch the TV show about the Duggars (19 Kids and Counting) when their youngest daughter was born prematurely you can see Michelle Duggar using a style of hospital grade Medela pump to pump breastmilk for her (just a "fun fact"). It looks like this:

I've never used an Avent breastpump but when I was using their bottles with my son and the whole BPA thing became a big deal, I contacted the company to find out if A) their bottles had BPA in them B) if it was safe to use BPA bottles with babies. This was at the height of when this was big news and they told me that yes their bottles have BPA but it's not a big deal and just acted like they weren't concerned and didn't care. Another 3 years later and almost all quality bottles and baby products read "BPA-free" on the package. I guess it was a "big deal." After that, I decided that Avent would no longer have my business.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    The avent pump is gentler than the medela but I love my medela freestyle for the reason that it's handsfree!!!!! I can do stuff while pumping which is invaluable. It is also of the same power as the hospital grade symphony.

Medela us service is outstanding. I broke the tube once and they sent me a replacement immediately. And my pump broke down recently, and again the sent a new set without question.

Want to highlight though that it was Medela USA that is fantastic. I first went to Celki and they wanted to send the pump for repair for 15 day. I said forget it and called USA.

"no prob madam, we will send you a new one immediately, can you return your old pump to us after receipt of the new?" :)

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Want to highlight though that it was Medela USA that is fantastic. I first went to Celki and they wanted to send the pump for repair for 15 day. I said forget it and called USA.

"no prob madam, we will send you a new one immediately, can you return your old pump to us after receipt of the new?" :)
    That's good to note. I dealt with Medela USA for my major repair but if you need minor parts (bottles, flanges, tubes, diaphragm/membrane) Celki has those and they're not too expensive.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Zoska is offline Registered User
    I also heard lots good staff about the M BP and thinking I will go for this one. But there are so much more expensive here then in UK/US!

trttrt is offline Registered User
    I swear by my medela freestyle! N it's the reason I managed to breastfeeding my child till she is two..only stopped cos I got pregnant with my second and I intend to use it for my breastfeeding again. It's really efficient and fantastic. Definitely recommended. I would like to buy a new tube though just in case and not sure where to get it. Any advice?;)

Oh I just gave a set away. I think you can buy from Celki at Melbourne plaza. They didn't use to carry freestyle 2 years ago but they do now. Best to call to see if they carry the tubes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast