Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

prejudice for K1 admissions? Even for HKG born children with non Hongkong parents

lennox8 is offline Registered User

prejudice for K1 admissions? Even for HKG born children with non Hongkong parents

My spouse is from the mainland and our 2 year old speaks mandarin, and he understands basic English and Cantonese. During the group gathering at the kindergarten, of 2 year old toddlers accompanied by a parent, in the "interview" process. It was only our child that volunteered to sing when asked by the "interviewers". He sweetly sang "happy birthday". Also he was the only one who answered names of fruit in english when asked. Infact he was the only 2 year old who was proactive, the other toddlers were too timid, at least on the 15 odd minute "interview" day
    There must of been about a dozen toddlers accompanied with a parent. my mainland spouse accompanied our child.
    The "interviewing" teachers seemed to be so fond of our son, with smiles acknowledging his willingness to politely participate. But, we were so flummoxed and dumbfounded when we received a letter about a week later "politely" telling us that their are no vacancies and our child will be notified if a vacancy does appear.
    My son is so sweet, polite and smart for his age, so can someone please give a possible reason other than the fact he mainly speaks mandarin, my spouse is from the mainland and myself being a poor cantonese speaking foreign chinese national with HKG chinese parents?

kacoak is offline Registered User
    It's possible that there are just way too many applications for available spots. In a thread not long ago I read that there were 300+ applications for 80 K1 spots for the upcoming year (in KCIS, I believe?). Not necessarily a case of discrimination here.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    Almost every school is way too full at the moment. I'd get used to these sort of letters, even in cases where your son did everything perfectly. Don't fret too much. The wait lists move quite frequently.

ssheng is offline Registered User
    I'm sure there is prejudice in these processes - but I imagine there has to be. I mean, how can you possibly say one child is 'better' than another at that age. I would think you just have to start finding or manufacturing reasons to turn children down.

That being said, I have heard having a mainland and Mandarin speaking parent can be an advantage at some schools, so do not be discouraged.

And lastly, as kacoak mentioned, I'm sure there was also very fierce competition so there might just not have been enough spots. The other children may have parents who hold debentures, have relationships to help them get in, or have sibling or other types of priority. Your son sounds very bright and therefore I'm sure you will find a great K1 that will have the room for him and is the right fit for all of you.

lennox8 is offline Registered User
    Do yourselves think it is worthwhile, contacting them via email or going up to the school with my HKG mother, asking why our son, who was the only child to volunteer to sing, answer questions, was seen as less precocious as the other toddlers who just quietly sat when questions were asked or sat passively when volunteering opportunity to sing given?

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    I personally would not do that. Despite your wife's assessment of how well your son performed, it's probably not the most objective point of view. We all look at our children with some degree through rose tinted glasses. As others have rightly pointed out, there are many applicants for very few spots. The teachers have their own metrics to rank children which we are not privy to, arguing with them (in my experience) does not help and tends to raise the frustration level further. I would put my energies into casting the net wider. Your son does sound bright and you will find a spot. Chin up!

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User
    I think there is no use going to the school and talk to them. Last year, we also went through the same situation and when I asked the admission staff why our daughter was not selected inspire of being the smartest in her group, she said the teachers thought she was too independent and outgoing and they select more structured and docile kids. Was frustrating to hear this in the beginning , but after some time, we thought it's good that she was not selected, as it would have been difficult for her adjust in this environment. sadly this is how the school system in hk is.
    So don't worry, and look for better options. There are schools who would be very happy to have such a kid with them. Good luck

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't bother going to the school to make a case...your son sounds smart so I'm sure it won't be hard to get a place somewhere else ...like others have said speaking mandarin is an advantage at some schools. Also you have to bear in mind that hundreds off students are interviewed and though your son did well compared to his peers, there is also a possibility that there are kids in other groups that performed even better...I mean, if he didn't do well you'd probably just get a note of thanks without even the offer of giving your son a place when it becomes available. I won't be too upset, don't worry too much about it.